salsa

Arizona Guy

Registered
Hi,

I will be in Argentina in a week or two visiting friends...I want to make some homemade salsa for them and was wondering if you can find jalapeno peppers, cilantro and limes at the stores...also tortilla chips...if not, would i have any problem at customs bringing any of this down?

you wont have any problems finding those items. however the majority of the chili peppers here aren't jalapeno. they're more thai style. if i were you i would bring dried chilis if possible!!!!! they do have tortilla chips but they're very overpriced and of poor quality.....

you can find spicy peppers in a lot of Verdulerias. when i make salsa i use those and it´s fine. do you have a good recipe to share? I've been trying a couple and haven't found the restaurant style salsa i am craving!!

Thanks for the info....I might bring my own chips down...As far as a recipe, I kind of wing it.....fresh tomatoes, onions, peppers, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, oregano, basil.. some sugar, salt, pepper and garlic salt...and that's about it....heavy on the spices for better flavor.

NOLAchef said:
you wont have any problems finding those items. however the majority of the chili peppers here aren't jalapeno. they're more thai style. if i were you i would bring dried chilis if possible!!!!! they do have tortilla chips but they're very overpriced and of poor quality.....

Correction:

(1) Those items are all sold in Buenos Aires.

(2) You are going to have a hell of a time finding them all because you're new here.

Good luck! You're going to need it.

I think the tortilla chips here are a bit nasty and taste like oil paint. I forget which brand I use(d), it's a red foil bag with a powdered sour cream packet inside. Anyways, if you see this brand, proceed with caution! I shop at Carrefour, WalMart and sometimes a Disco near work, and this is the only brand I have seen offered. Really throws the taste off.

there are good tortilla chips here (sometimes in dieteticas, but also stores like panchovilla tortillas that cater to those needs), jalepeno peppers and cilantro (sold in most bolivian verdulerias or mercado del progresso) but yes, as Napoleon said you'll have a harder time finding and figuring it out because you're new. Anything that's sold in the major chains isn't going to be top quality or the best bargain. Good luck!

Update:...well, we are back from our short trip......I made the salsa for mis amigos argentinos.....they did not like it.....they were not at all used to the picante flavor of the salsa....a couple of norteamericano friends were also there and they devoured it.... I brought down my own tortilla chips and couple of limes....everything else I got down there....could not find a jalapeno pepper but did find some dry substitutes for the heat.

I remember why I love Argentina...its the people...very lovable...even casual aquaintences treat you like long lost relatives. I much enjoyed the 50 degree overcast crisp weather as compared to the 111 degree heat I missed in Arizona.

One complaint is the traffic in la capital...since we were visiting friends in Lujan y Pergamino...we rented a car....would never do this if we were staying in BA....but it was much appreciated in el campo... I am not aware of any place on Earth where it is worse to drive than in Buenos Aires. Got lost a few times and stuck in rush hour traffic...

May plan a new trip in a year or so.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LCP Food and Drink 17
K Newcomers Forum 4
S Expat Life 5
F Expat Life 2
L Expat Life 0
Back