Salta & Jujuy

tourist2townie

Registered
I'm heading to Salta and Jujuy next week and looking for some advice on where to stay and what to do.

Hotels, Restaurants, Adventures, etc...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My wife and I recently spent a week up there. We did 2 days in Cafayate, 1 day in Salta, and 2 nights in Purmamarca exploring the area up in Jujuy. Was a good trip. Biggest advice would be to rent a car and drive yourself rather than hiring a private guide or doing a bus thing--saves money and it's really easy to see everything since there's really only a couple of roads and everything is easy to find.

We wrote up everything that we did and put lots of pictures on our blog, here's a link if it's helpful to you: http://www.consultingrehab.com/2010/06/03/our-trip-to-the-northwest-of-argentina-the-noa-in-summary/

Enjoy the trip!
Ryan

take a bus to tucuman. then rent a car for 2 weeks or so. go northwest from tucuman to get to routa 40 via routa 307. then go east to salta on routa 33. after salta then head back west to get back to route 40 via routa 51. then north to Los Cobres and purmamarca. then north on routa 9 to humahuaca. then drive south to jujuy and drop off car and get on bus back to ba. this route has lots to see and do on it. place to see cafayete, tafi del valle, cachi,

you had better be a good driver and you better rent a good car..much of the road is sand one lane on high curvy mountain passes.

after 20 years of being shut down, a train now runs from BA to Tucuman, and it is great! we rented a sleeping car for only 200 pesos for 2 people...stayed in the dining car most of the trip...it does take 25 hours as opposed to 14 on the bus, but so much more comfortable and fun! and the life you see along the train tracks is much more interesting than highways...the food too was excellent and cheap...the sleeping car was made up as a long sofa in the day, with white sheets and blankets in bunkbeds at night.....fantastic

As usual I would really recommend tripadvisor. for a hotel etc BUT a top recommendation online and up there is the train to the clouds, tren a las nubes or something...
I wouldn't bother, it takes about 17 hours and is the slowest and most boring trip ever. IT's great for about three hours then it becomes incredibly dull. as the train goes back on the same route at literally 30kmh, and you are in seats staring at the people opposite, plus foreigners get ripped big time. hire a car!

Thanks to all for the great trip advice. Can anyone recommend a car rental company? I plan to bus to Tucuman this weekend, rent a car for 10 days, etc. Thanks!

Salta/Jujuy is my favorite place in Argentina. I´ve been 4 times, and would recommend looking into Movitrack http://www.movitrack.com.ar/index_ing.html for tours, even if you just do one and then rent a car to see the rest - it is an experience like no other! They have an excursion that does the route "a las nubes", but in the special Movitrack vehicle, which allows you to pop your head out the top (each seat has its own little roof "door") and feel the mountain air and get magnificent views and pictures.

Also, I have stayed at this B&B 3 times...Silke and Riccardo are fantastic! It´s called Carpe Diem, and it is located in Salta city. http://www.bedandbreakfastsalta.com/bed-and-breakfast-salta-home-ing.htm

The one thing that I would say is an absolutle must is to see the "niños del Lluaillaco", which are 3 almost perfectly preserved mummies that are on a rotating display at the MAAM museum (http://maam.culturasalta.gov.ar/) - it´s located right on the central plaza in Salta city. They are truly amazing how well preserved they are.

Aside from that, Cafayate is a great little town and has a phenomenal empanada place - La casa de las empanadas. I would just ask someone near the plaza where it is. Hands down the best empandadas I have ever had!

Oh, and I recommend trying llama while you are there. I believe I ate it in Maimara and Cafayate. It´s fairly common on menus up there. If you can find it prepared with a little garlic, parsley and olive oil, mejor!!!

I used a car from Avis in Tucuman. It was a little less than US$50/day with a GPS unit.

we just spent 10 days in tucuman and salta area...(look at our blog for pics and info, studiodio.blogspot.com) we used the train from BA (check out tickets at retiro train station, ask for tucuman window) and then bused it and once hired a guide and car to see the ruins of Quilmes...had a great time....my favorite place was termals del honda...hot springs all over town, heating the water in houses and hotels, public pools down by the river for 12 pesos for all day with lots of pools of different temps...its the off season now so you have the run of the place!

Reactions: FAS
Last time I was up there we hired a guide named Cachumey in Tilcara. He led us on some amazing hikes, including one into a really old irrigation tunnel through the mountains and some caves that we had to use candles to see. Just ask around for him and I'm sure he can be found.

Back