Same Old Immigration Questions

EdRooney

Registered
Sorry to beat several dead horses, but would anyone be willing to update me on the following:

1.FBI criminal record: I got it, but its not apostilled, translated or anything. Am I screwed?

2. Gettin my wife into the States. Believe it or not in spite of being married to a US citizen, she was denied a visa. (!!!) Any suggestions on where to go next? They accused her of being poor and me of being "dodgy" (see next item) with Arg. immigration.

3. Gotta do a visa run, but would like to avoid Ezeiza/Buquebus so as not to get stuck with the new entry fee on gringos. We went to Bolivia before with spectacular results, but would like to try something new.

Thanks for lettin me bend your collective ear!

1. If it is certified by the FBI you are in okay shape - you will have to send it to the US state dept. to get the apostile. When you get it back, then you will have to get it translated and certified by a public translator.

If you forgot to ask for the Criminal Record to be certified by the FBI for use abroad, you are screwed, you will need to request a new one.

2. Doesn't seem strange at all actually. I have heard that being married to a US Citizen actually makes it harder for a spouse to get a tourist visa to travel to the US. (They assume the couple is visiting to the US and will stay, since one has ties)

You can do the process to get residency for her in the US if you have plans to return, but otherwise you just need to build up the case for why she will return to Argentina and try to apply for the B-2 Visa.

3. There is a international port in Tigre with departures to Uruguay, so that is 1 option. I also do not believe they charge the entry fee at the BuqueBus terminal. You could also try SeaCat or Colonia Express.

I think the best advice would however be just not to worry about a Visa Run. Enforcement is pretty lax, and it is very doubtful that they will come get you if you are just living here, only reason I can understand is because oficial casa de cambios check for a valid stamp. Only way you will get kicked out is if you break the law, and it doesn't matter if you are on a "valid" tourist visa or not then.

GuilleGee said:
3. There is a international port in Tigre with departures to Uruguay, so that is 1 option. I also do not believe they charge the entry fee at the BuqueBus terminal. You could also try SeaCat or Colonia Express.

I just came back from Montevideo on Buquebus and the Argentine immigration guy actually looked to the back of my passport and looked at my 10 year entrance sticker that I got Ezeiza last year. I didn't ask why he did that and he didn't offer.

PS- If you're married to an Argentine, I would start the process of a more permanent visa. In the meantime, I don't think that you actually have to leave the country.

EdRooney, what the HECK? That is crazy. I read on the US website that a spouse of a US citizen has an automatic right to getting a temporary visa. What the heck?? I am so sorry this happened to you! I would be pissed! On what basis did they accuse your wife of being poor and you being dodgy if you don't mind sharing? If not, that's ok! Did she bring bank statements and they weren't padded enough for them or just because she did not have property like a house or car?

Anyway, whatever the case, I think it is disgusting and classist that SPOUSES can be denied entry for being "too poor." Most average, "middle" class Argentines would probably be "too poor" by their standards. You obviously are here living with her and as such, committed to her and your relationship. Like I said, I feel for you and am sorry you are going through this!

As for the entry fee, until further notice, I think it is only being charged to be entering by AIR, just like Chile´s policy, not by land. So I would think that going to Uruguay would not count.

Back