San Diego to BsAs - Where to live?

(Parks might not matter as we are getting closer to winter).

as far as palermo is concerned, the parks are a HUGE plus (for those who like exercise and open space ), and the parks are very active and attractive year around, not just in summer. palermo is expensive but has great access to the rest of the city. if you live in a barrio where you have to take a lot of buses, that can be a real drag. but it's a matter of cost.

Thanks for all the great responses! I'm getting in on the morning of the 27th and looking to give myself a few days at a hostel before I make my decision. Any recommendations for a safe/inexpensive hostel in a good, central location?

I forgot to mention this hostel chain has free activities during the week. I don't know what is currently going on but, a few friends did some of their activities in the past. I think they have bbqs and tango lessons. Things like that. It is a good way to get adjusted and see a bit of the city.

http://www.tangobp.com/activities.html

Hosteling International is a great way to go. If you end up traveling outside of Buenos Aires say to Punta del Este, UR or in and around Argentina, they will be a great benefit. If you sign up with them, you get 30% discount on stay and meals, you pay a one time fee, and they are virtually all over the world. www.hihostels.com

Through HI, you have 9 hostel options to begin with right here in the city.

I agree that Palermo is the way to go if you will be here for a short time and your main focus is going out all the time. My favorite barrio is Belgrano, still rather easy to get around with the D line for the subway. It's a gorgeous neighborhood and a little quieter than palermo.
I've spent my year and a half in between San Telmo and Saavedra (the latter being more family focused residential) but I am from a small town in the states and prefer a quieter environment. So like most said it really is up to what you personally want from your time here, I would definitely stay in a hostel for your first two weeks to get a feel of the vibe.

I am very happy with where we live in Palermo Chico (Botanico), lots of parks nearby, great busy neighbourhood with cafes and restaurants and plenty of people on the streets at night making it feel safe, no ratbags. The centre of the neighbourhood is Cervino & Ugarteche, check it out.

Thanks everyone for your posts! I'm going to stay at +1 Hostel in Palermo, as it came highly recommended by a few people that PM'd me, and some review forums. I've reserved it for a week beginning the 27th of April and the stay is VERY inexpensive.

On another note, I'm having some trouble contacting people that are renting rooms via Craigslist, but I think that's because I'm still 2 weeks away from my arrival date and people are looking for rooms to be filled immediately. As of now, I'm leaning towards beginning my stay in Palermo Soho. Does anybody have any input on the area? Or know of any rentals that may be opening in May? Thanks so much to everyone who has read this and posted!

Back