Leaving San Diego for BA in April!

Sean-Ryan McCray

Registered
Hi everyone,

I've been following this wonderful site over the past few months in preparation for my travel to Buenos Aires. I'm moving to the city from Southern California (in April) with the intentions of living there for at least a year.

I graduated college just over a year ago, and have been working LONG hours in the business world from the moment I stepped off campus. I've decided to pack up, move, and discover something different before it's too late... I'm traveling with the intentions of gaining a better understanding of what I want out of life, bettering my spanish, discovering opportunities, and meeting new and wonderful people in the city.

I'd appreciate any insight into where I should look to live, what my chances of finding a job in the city are, and in all honesty... Anything you have to say. Thanks so much for your time, I can't wait to join you all in Buenos Aires!

Best regards.

I'd poke around and see what electronics (like laptops) that people want, bring them with you and sell them here. Oh and bring whatever hot sauces you like with you.

Jobs are going to be tough, wages here seem to be less than half what they are in SoCal.

Thanks so much for the response!

I've got money saved but I'm hoping to find a job as quickly as possible - pending my arrival of course...

Given such information, any insight into what location you'd recommend I live? Perhaps a location suitable for a 24 year old male university graduate with just over a year's experience with a leading international finance and specialty insurance group?

Sorry for the lengthy response, I appreciate ANY and ALL information! Thanks everyone!

I appreciate your sincerity and your optimism, but if you have been following this site for a year I wonder how can you realistically expect to come to Argentina and find a job (unless it's teaching English).

One of the things that has made Argentina such an attractive destination for younger expats is Argentina's "soft" policy toward those staying beyond the expiration of their tourist visas, but that is beginning to change. If you only plan to be here for a year you probably won't have any problems.

Nonetheless, if you want to live in BA for a year you really should have enough money in the bank (in the US) to sustain you for the duration of your stay, without earning supplemental income here.

Have been living in BsAs for the past 8 months. Just returned to San Diego last week for about one month. Actually have a house in Rosarito, Mexico but that's close enough to San Diego. If you have any questions don't hestitate to PM me. I will be as honest, good or bad, as I can. If you would like to meet for coffee just let me know.

Michael

There is nothing wrong with what you want to do. If indeed these are your intentions,

Im traveling with the intentions of gaining a better understanding of what I want out of life, bettering my spanish, discovering opportunities, and meeting new and wonderful people in the city
there is absolutely no reason why Buenos Aires won't work for you.

It sounds like you want to do something different and spontaneous. Over-researching the crap out of it kind of defeats the purpose. Always make sure you have enough money for a return ticket and, as nike says, just do it.

Sean-Ryan McCray said:
Hi everyone,

I've been following this wonderful site over the past few months in preparation for my travel to Buenos Aires. I'm moving to the city from Southern California (in April) with the intentions of living there for at least a year.

I graduated college just over a year ago, and have been working LONG hours in the business world from the moment I stepped off campus. I've decided to pack up, move, and discover something different before it's too late... I'm traveling with the intentions of gaining a better understanding of what I want out of life, bettering my spanish, discovering opportunities, and meeting new and wonderful people in the city.

I'd appreciate any insight into where I should look to live, what my chances of finding a job in the city are, and in all honesty... Anything you have to say. Thanks so much for your time, I can't wait to join you all in Buenos Aires!

Best regards.

I see nothing wrong with your plan. Too many of us Americans stay in our little bubble called the United States. The trip will give you perspective and will definitely help you figure things out. You're young.....there is no better time to travel and enjoy yourself! A year here is definitely doable but you will need savings.

You can find a job--do not underestimate the fact that you are a native english speaker--but it may take a couple of months to do something other than teaching English. Local wages are low. For a 40 hour work week expect anywhere from 3,500-4,500 pesos a month with your skill set and the length of time that you plan on staying. And that's for 40 hours! Crazy isn't it? If you network enough you may get lucky and find something a lot better. It just isn't easy. But don't let that stop you from coming! If you have a good amount of money saved up you'll be good. You can supplement your savings with teaching english or find a regular gig.

When you come down send me a message. Always good to talk with my cali folks. Good luck.

Yes as the others said.. be prepared for a tough job market.. inflation etc etc... but Go for it!! you are 24 and what is one year when you are 24 years old....
just bring some 3 rolled tacos with guac. and a carne asada burrito from Robertos for me!!!! haha
If you are from San Diego.. you know what I mean!!! cheers...

Finding a job... eh. I would say, "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." Unemployment is high, and job options are quite limited for a foreigner with no work visa that isn't fluent in Spanish. But a few posters have mentioned their experiences with companies who hire Americans, so hopefully they can give you a bit more info. I think spending a year abroad is a great idea, but like others have said, only if you have enough savings to cover your expenses. The odds of not finding a living-wage job are just too high to bank on.

Back