San Isidro / Greater Buenos Aires

e-rose

Registered
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this question, but I was wondering how far out of the main city is San Isidro?
I've found a possible work placement there but I'm wondering if it still really counts as part of Buenos Aires or if it's too far out to be convenient...
not really sure. Any info?

San Isidro is a northern suburb, not technically part of Buenos Aires (Capital Federal) but it is still considered part of the Greater Buenos Aires area.

It depends exactly what part of San Isidro you are talking about but it is roughly 20km north of the BA city limits.

From downtown you could drive or possibly take a train depending on where in San Isidro you needed to go.

I know many people who live in San Isidro and come to work to Buenos Aires... this way you will avoid the "hora pico", so it`s even better... Depending on where you live in Bs.As. and where you need to go in San Isidro it can take you from 45´to 1hr 30´

It really depends on you and how much time would you resign to commute... My best advice (or advise?.. sorry, couldn´t help it!) is: go to Retiro, take the train and try this weekend, so that you can decide.

It´s linea Mitre if I`m not mistaken, is an electrical train in very good conditions and pretty safe compared to the others.

It's halfway to Tigre.

You can take a train from Retiro or Chinatown in Belgrano to get there.

"How far is it?"

In Texas, we measured distance by miles.

In California, we measured distance by time. (Thus, the distance varied with traffic.)

San Isidro is about 30 minutes to the Retiro train station. Probably about 20 (or less) to the Chinatown stop in Belgrano.

In good traffic, it might be 15 to 20 minutes from Recoleta on Av. del Libertador. In bad traffic it could be 40 minutes maybe.

It's considered a very nice suburb. The people are educated and wealthy. If they don't have to, I doubt many of them come into BsAs every day. It's a commuter town for the husbands who work in the city, but the kids stay out there for their private schools. (Some kids even travel out there if they go to the right private school.)

It's technically "Gran Buenos Aires". It's not in Capital Federal (or Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires- C.A.B.A.). It's cleaner, it's nicer, and it's safer than the city... and the people are better looking.

Depending on what you are looking for, you might have hit the jackpot.

Do you have a family or are you single?

How old are you?

What are you looking for?

This can determine whether the San Isidro is something that you'd want.

Thanks - ok well some of that info... I'm female/20yrs old. I'm not in Argentina yet... I hope to be there from May next year doing a work placement/internship in theatre. I've found one possibility but it's based in San Isidro. I was really intending to be in Buenos Aires but it depends on all the above things you've mentioned!

"Rose", busses and reliable taxis run all night. You could live and work in San Isidro and still visit the city proper very frequently, or live downtown and commute to S. Isidro. The departamento is part of greater Bs.As., after all.

Or (if you speak Spanish; if you don't, concerted study now could have you fluent by May) you could easily find an unpaid internship in one of the many theater companies in Buenos Aires proper (the Capital Federal). Don't despair.

Rose,

You do NOT want to live in San Isidro. You probably don't want to work there either.

You will be arriving right as it is getting cold. You do not want to be waiting for a bus at ???? at night to bring you into the city from San Isidro or to take you back out there.

You will want to have easy access to Palermo (DEFINITELY) and San Telmo (maybe). You're 20. You want to be IN the city.

I had a friend who spent a summer in the "La Defense" section of Paris when she was 20. Then she moved into the city for the fall semester. She realized that after 3 months, she still didn't know Paris because she was living in No-Man's Land. That will be San Isidro for you.

Sorry if it is a great opportunity, but you don't want to take it. Believe me- I was talking with about 10+ 20 year old girls from the States last night and there is no way in hell that any of them would have wanted to live in San Isidro.

Keep looking.

It's not too far if you have a good job. Where in San Isidro? If near the station, you can take the train. There are also buses. You'll need around one hour each way, door to door however, as I said, it depends on where in San Isidro (and where you are in Capital). Be more specific.

e-rose- San Isidro has charm and they have great cafes. The winter here is not that "cold". (of course I'm from Chicago). We live outside the BA area up near San Isidro. We still take train, drive, or remise into Capital Federal for concerts, plays, etc. You get a different perspective of Argentina and you would definatly learn Castellano. There are young people up there and a group of expats. If the job will help your resume take it. Crime has been increasing in that neighborhood (house/crime, mostly affluent people), but there are still safer places. Would you be able to visit before you come in May?

Sergio's right -- you need to find out where in San Isidro it is. If it's near the trainline, it's only an 18 minute train from Leandro de las Torres (or whatever that station's name is, can never get it right!) to San Isidro station. L de la T station is right in front of Las Canitas, which would be a nice neighbourhood for someone in their 20s. There's no point in going all the way into Retiro unless you live down near San Telmo. If you do decide to take the job, I'd say live in Las Can / Belgrano. However, if this is a theatre job, would it require working at night, or will you just be working in the offices during the day? At night it would be a pain in the butt to come home.

There's a huge theatre industry in BA, you should have no problem finding somewhere else that is in town. Corrientes is like the Broadway of BA, but then there's also an enormous fringe / independent theatre community. I'd say keep looking if the San Isidro job requires night time shifts.

Back