Saw my first crime

duanestorey

Registered
I spent three months here last year, and while I heard of lots of crime, I never witnessed any first hand.

Today I was walking close to the Plaza Italia subte station when I heard a pile of people screaming. At first I thought someone had been hit by a car, but then I saw some guy running and a couple of guys running after him. There was a lady that was pretty distraught, and I kind of got the sense that she had her purse stolen from what she was saying.

Pretty bold as there were lots of people around at the time and she was on a patio with a few other patrons.

I would say that yeah the crime situation is getting worse here by the day and thieves are getting bolder and bolder but that would be too much like the truth that people don't want to read.

So, I am just going to say that you're an imperialist who doesn't like poor old Argentina and should just leave. (Couldn't find the sarcasm smiley :p)

duanestorey said:
Today I was walking close to the Plaza Italia subte station when I heard a pile of people screaming. At first I thought someone had been hit by a car, but then I saw some guy running and a couple of guys running after him.

This could be good news to me depending if the guys were running after him or running with him. In my limited experience with witnessing crimes is that no one does anything besides grab their belongings and thanks Christina, I mean God, that it was not them.

I hadn't seen any on the 6 months I've been here up until this week. I saw a crying lady running after a guy shouting "pará". I couldn't stop thinking about it for a couple of days. Terrible.

I have seen police witness robberies and just walk in the other direction

On the other hand, when I had just arrived in Buenos Aires (not aware of anything), I booked my hotel in the Constitución area. I walked by foot to el caminito and before getting there, I made a detour to the Boca Juniors stadium. In my hand, I had all the time a video camera, a photo camera and a map and regularly I checked my smartphone for the hour. It was nice weather, so I was strolling around the stadium. Suddenly a guy comes to me with a dog on his leash. He asks me if I speak Spanish or English. I tell him I speak better English. He explains me three people are watching me and making turns around the block on a bike. I should be careful and try to stay with a group of tourists so they would be less inclined to hit on me. I followed his advice, started walking to el caminito, being more careful and walking with a group of 4 tourists who were also walking to el caminito. Nothing happened to me.

Also another day, 2 people started fighting in front of the station in Constitución. At first, people ignored it, but when they kept fighting, Argentines interfered and took the 2 fighters apart.

There is a lot of petty crime in Buenos Aires and there is a lot of ignorance, but there is also a lot of concern among Argentines. I have been lucky and I have not been stolen in Argentina. Instead, when I was seeing an Argentine friend who visited Belgium in Brussels, I was stolen there. She was shocked that not only people in Buenos Aires steal.

I have "seen" two crimes in BA., but only seconds after the fact. Once in San Telmo as the male victim was running after the perp and once on Charcas near Colonel Diaz as a woman was screaming that her purse had just been snatched...but no perp was in sight. Both happened in the early afternoon.

PS: Two Argentine businessmen I know were robbed in the street and so was my former girlfriend. My girlfriend lost her shoulder bag and nothing of value. One of the businessmen only lost his watch. The other says he lost $38,000 USD as he and his wife were leaving a bank after an escritura for a property sale.

I was talking to a rather wealthy friend of mine recently about theft. This guy was involved in the film industry in South America for decades, visiting primarily Brasil and Argentina during this time, spending lots of time. He should have known better...

He told me about three years ago he was wearing a $25,000 Rolex and was assaulted in the street. They were motochorros. The moto drove up, the guy on back grabbed his hand while twisting his arm and took the watch right off his wrist, leaving my friend in some amount of pain. The moto sped off.

Another friend of mine, who spent 20-some years here, recently left to return permanently to Australia. He was in the antiques business. Extremely smart, wise and well-studied in his field.

He went to to two different change houses he had always used, to recieve money he'd wired to himself here. He received a total of some 50,000 pesos. At one, he received 30K, at the other, 20K. In both, he put the money in his pockets while in the office of the guy he was receiving the money from. In the second, however, a secretary walked in while he was putting the 20K in his other pocket from the one that had the original amount.

He got into his truck and drove to his house. On exiting the truck, he was immediately held up at gun point. The thief reached directly into his pocket that contained the 20K and pulled out the roll. The thief didn't ask him for anything else, ran around the block and was never seen again.

The obvious suspicion was that the secretary called someone she knew to follow and rob my friend.

I won't say that anyone actually deserves to be robbed, but walking around the city, pretty much anywhere, with electronics and expensive jewelry isn't helping things. I knock on wood because I haven't yet been robbed, although every single one of my family has been. With the exception of my older sister-in-law, who was robbed of 1500 pesos from her purse just after she was paid (that being suspicious of someone who saw her get paid!), and my older brother-in-law who was robbed three times of amounts totaling to 150 pesos (living in Consititucion, he was robbed by the same gang three times leaving his "hotel" at 5:30 am to go to work), the thefts have involved cellphones, MP3 players and jewelry that was on display at some point.

My first friend was an idiot for wearing a $25K watch on the street. He recognizes that and only wears "cheap" watches now ($200-$500 US, as he says!).

My second friend took a risk of some random robbery while doing legitimate business but was screwed by dishonest people working in a change house. I have done the exact same thing many times as well, knowing there is a risk, but at least it's calculated.

You never know where it's coming from, but do the best you can to not be conspicuous. I walk around in shorts or sweat pants and t-shirts. I don't wear a watch or jewelry aside from a plain wedding band. I don't walk around with a camera photographing tourist things.

Back