Scam Artist Cab Drivers

Yes, I understand that making change can be a problem, EVERYWHERE it seems really. I paid for a 25 peso tab at Starbucks on Callao with a 50 and they made me wait 5 minutes while the manager went and got change for my FIFTY.
I dont know what a big issue it is to pay for a 40 peso cab fare with a 100 note.

dani28 said:
I dont know if this has happened to anybody before, but just thought I'd share. I flagged down a cab yesterday after dinner outside a nice Puerto Madero restaurant and told the cabbie where I wanted to go (a boliche) and told him what route to best take. I could detect than even from the get go we could have problems, as he clearly didnt like that I knew my way around and was instructing him on the quickest route possible, and gave me the ¨what?you dont trust me?¨ schpeal.
Finally when we arrive I give him a 100 and instructed him to round the amount up to get a tip for himself and give me the change from the rounded up estimate. Literally in 3 seconds when I look back up, he goes, ¨Change? You gave me a 10¨ And instead of a 100 peso bill he had a 10 in his hand.
I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt I had given him 100, because I know how much I had left the restaurant with after hving gotten change from my bill, and I am not flighty or was in a state of impaired judgement (IE drunk) I know what happened, he did a bait and switch and probably does this with a lot of foreigners and/or people who are drunk and pockets quite a nice difference doing this every night.

I did not complain, as I felt it best not to argue, and plus it was a single lane road and cars were starting to honk, and simply accepted the fact that I had been ripped off..... Has this ever happened to anybody?
yes that happened to me,but I,d given him a false 100 note!!!!!:p

Hello
Try never take a taxi without having change and say out loud Iam giving you "$" to avoid this situations, I always tell the cab what route to take and the quickest way, a friend of mine who is an expat had an argument with the cab and when she got out didn`t pay him but he had tried to take advantage of her
Reina

Absolutely happened to many of us...my favorite is when they swap a real hundred for a fake one and claim you have given them the fake one so you must give another. The majority of them are thieves not unlike many of the other businesses here that double the prices when they know you are foreign.

dani28 said:
Yes, I understand that making change can be a problem, EVERYWHERE it seems really. I paid for a 25 peso tab at Starbucks on Callao with a 50 and they made me wait 5 minutes while the manager went and got change for my FIFTY.
I dont know what a big issue it is to pay for a 40 peso cab fare with a 100 note.

I tried to pay for a 18 peso coffee drink at starbucks last year with a 100 and they gave it to me for free.

Happened to me also, but that was 20 pesos and the driver switched it for a 2 pesos bill.

Welcome to the club !

I had a different one:
We got on a cab and it took the same route which I took very often. But at every corner the price on the meter is nearly 40-50 percent more than it usually is... And we ended up paying 50% more than usual...
I think there's some hidden button he can press to alter the meter.

This happens to locals to... trust me! When it happened to me a few years ago, I refused to get out of the cab and told the driver that I had the whole day to remain seated as I had just quit my job. I peacefully stayed in there until he gave me my change and then I left. I must say those were some tense minutes but it worked. This was during the day.

puvenlee said:
I had a different one:
We got on a cab and it took the same route which I took very often. But at every corner the price on the meter is nearly 40-50 percent more than it usually is... And we ended up paying 50% more than usual...
I think there's some hidden button he can press to alter the meter.
Ahhh memories! That is the old loved " pituto " that thing they used to do it is called like that, I thought they were not using this anymore.

Back