Scam Culture

Ooohh we got a mattress from that guy; yes he definitely had a sketchy feeling. My bf (who is more perceptive of scammers than I am) had a bad feeling about him.. not that he was trying to rip us off but he was saying some chamuyo like "I've reduced the price on this twice already" blah blah blah when actually it was the same price as in all the other shops and he wasn't actually 'giving us a deal' but was just trying to get the sale. He's a sketchy A-HOLE, I also recommend that everyone avoid this place when shopping for furniture in Cabildo, Nuñez. They have a good selection but there are plenty of other stores on the same few blocks.

I was actually surprised that new was ARS 4200 and from exhibition ARS 3800. I mean, 10% of discount? I was expecting a minimum 30% off. That's why we went for the "new" option.

My bf smelled the kind of person he is, so he instructed me to play the one who said it was too much expensive, that I saw another one elsewhere, etc.
In the end, the guy made us another 200 ARS of discount, I can't exactly tell how the dialogue was, I don't understand Castellano very well.

Anyway it is like a recital, every damn time. You have to play a part, the salesman has to play his part, etc.
You can't simply expect to go in, order something for a given price, and get it home.

When we furnished our newly purchased apartment in 2002, we bought all new appliances at a virtually empty Garbarino (on Las Heras or Santa Fe, I think), with remarkable service. On commission, the salesman who helped us couldn't believe his good fortune and, when we returned the next day for a small item, the whole crew sprinted to see who could get to us first.

I was actually surprised that new was ARS 4200 and from exhibition ARS 3800. I mean, 10% of discount? I was expecting a minimum 30% off. That's why we went for the "new" option.

My bf smelled the kind of person he is, so he instructed me to play the one who said it was too much expensive, that I saw another one elsewhere, etc.
In the end, the guy made us another 200 ARS of discount, I can't exactly tell how the dialogue was, I don't understand Castellano very well.

Anyway it is like a recital, every damn time. You have to play a part, the salesman has to play his part, etc.
You can't simply expect to go in, order something for a given price, and get it home.
Barter is common in much of the world.

So would the original poster of this thread, be careful with generalisations!

Don't worry, I have a German surname because I am of German ancestry, and I agree with the generalization. There must be reasons for these, after all.

We actually had good experiences when furnishing our house, so for future reference I recommend http://www.jazmeendeco.com.ar/ in Olivos, not sure if they're always great but they were great with us.
We were on a budget so we decided to buy the couch right off the showroom floor rather than buy new, there was a 3,000 peso difference (25%). We signed the paperwork blah blah blah, all set. Then the next day they called to say that oops, they had actually sold that couch to another couple an hour before and there was a miscommunication between sales people. So they offered to make us the same couch brand new for the used price, without any hemming and hawing!

Thanks for the link, Irina. We are currently looking for a sofa-bed (sillon que se hace cama), so your link is precious!
So far we have found only odd stuff.

We have been working on our apartment on and off for about 7 years. I would say that for the most part workmanship and products were about what we expected. I don't think that Argentina is any more of a scam culture than anyway else. Is life perfect in BsAs no. , but pretty darn good ( for me and Tom).
Nancy

Back