Scam Culture

As weird as it sounds, mercadolibre is a very good option when shopping for furniture as well. Just gotta make sure you find a seller that has a showroom so you can go check out the goods and look at the ratings from other buyers. I have yet to be disappointed (except for this one delivery fiasco, but that was my own fault for not realizing he was giving me vague answers to score the sale even when the product was not going to be delivered within the time frame I wanted it)

I am keeping an eye on Mercadolibre, Alamaula and Olx. The only things that makes it harder, is the delivery part when buying second hand stuff. I know about fletes, but it looks like that the uncertainty of that fee is a major problem when we try to compare prices.

Oh, I never do secondhand on ML. Mostly because, as an Argentinian, I think: "if i was trying to scam someone out of some money would I mind ruining my reputation in my personal ML account?" and then answer is (if I was that kind of person), that no, I wouldn't give a rat's ass, really. So I am extremely weary of dealing with a person vs dealing with some sort of business.

If you are comfortable doing that, tho - you can always hire your own flete. ML itself has several adds for fletes, where you can see the size of the vehicle and how much they charge (you can call them up/send in a question and figure out how much they would charge you for whatever particular trip you have in mind) and just calculate that instead.

For me, since I always deal with actual business, they already have a company they do deliveries with and pre-set prices to go by,

If you are comfortable doing that, tho - you can always hire your own flete. ML itself has several adds for fletes, where you can see the size of the vehicle and how much they charge (you can call them up/send in a question and figure out how much they would charge you for whatever particular trip you have in mind) and just calculate that instead.

Do they also include/offer loading/unloading service? I mean, if I buy a sofa, can they help me with taking the thing downstairs, load it on the flete and then unload it and bring it to my apartment (3rd floor)?

Most offer a "peon" to help you, which is a guy whose job is helping with the loading/unloading.

http://servicio.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-471610319-mini-fletes-90-trafic-120-maxi-130-mudanza-150-rapiflet-_JM this one, for example (haven't used it, it is just one I was looking at for my upcoming move) has a phone number where you could call and ask.

I've noticed an uptick in scam-like incidents in my admittedly anecdotal experience on this trip.
  1. First time a landlord has tried to not give me back the full deposit. He did this by doing some weird mathematical mumbo-jumbo in Spanish. Eventually I got back my deposit - but in 20 dollar bills instead of the original 100s...
  2. Carrefour gives checks for discounts. The teller kept it and I had to go through this ordeal for a credit and expect I will have trouble trying to use it.
  3. Landlord is asking me to pay the rent early - just this time...

Back