Scarey exciting thing happened to me today

nlaruccia said:
You're very lucky you were able to shut the door in time. Many years ago in Recoleta visiting a friend a man shoved me into the building and robbed me in the elevator and ran.

I want to warn everybody about some kids that are gang members hanging out in Recoleta. The other night after leaving the movie theatre I was looking for a taxi. I saw four young boys around the ages of fourteen and one of them started to follow me. Luckily I carry pepper spray in my hand. I turned around and he came at me and I sprayed him until half the container was empty. Unfortunately a breeze caused me to get sprayed as well. I was very lucky that a taxi stopped, grabbed me and threw me into his cab. He was very nice and took me to a gas station and to the bathroom so that I could wash my eyes out. I spent the rest of the night washing my face and hands in soap, water and milk. Pepper spray is very effective as a weapon and I've used it twice in Buenos Aires. Getting back to my original point, I found out that another woman was robbed by the same boys in the same location only a few weeks earlier, but he had a knife on him. There aren't many police in Recoleta at night so I hope everyone keeps alert in that area until the gang moves on to some other neighborhood.

For pepper sprays, buy the ones which throw a more solid form (more like a foam) than the purely gas ones = wind will be less of a problem.

Oh my gosh, I am so glad you're ok. How scary...how are you feeling at the moment?

As for Recoleta: I work on Alvear and there is stuff going on every single day. It's open searson, er...tourist season, after all. :rolleyes:

So glad you were able to keep your head about you :)
In moments like that it's easy to lose it.

I have to ask. What on EARTH made you decide to stand there and mock the guy?

A close relative of mine has recently left the UK special forces having been in many of the world's hot spots. I related to him what we have had to deal with here, ie 2 armed robberies at my shop and one or two other incidents.
I asked him what HE would have done.
'Let them take everything; that way, you live...'

You probably already do this, but I suggest being extremely vigilant when entering buildings. As I approach my building I always have my keys ready for a quick entry. I also check behind me as well as looking to see if anyone is hanging around the building entrance.Happy to wait until loiterers leave.

Seems like basic common sense for here, but Im still surprised how many people seem to dither and fumble for keys etc around doorways. Also, in my building at least, it is incredible how readily neighbours buzz the door open to strangers. I dont care who they say they are, cops, gas, ambulance, Jehovahs.."go speak to the portero!"

If anyone must resort to using pepper spray , it is recommended that you use the entire contents of the can. Yes , empty the can into their eyes. It is self defense , not bug spray.

If there are more than one assailant , follow the advise of gingoboy's special services friend.
Glad you are OK. Always remain aware of your surroundings.

nlaruccia said:
You're very lucky you were able to shut the door in time. Many years ago in Recoleta visiting a friend a man shoved me into the building and robbed me in the elevator and ran.

I want to warn everybody about some kids that are gang members hanging out in Recoleta. The other night after leaving the movie theatre I was looking for a taxi. I saw four young boys around the ages of fourteen and one of them started to follow me. Luckily I carry pepper spray in my hand. I turned around and he came at me and I sprayed him until half the container was empty. Unfortunately a breeze caused me to get sprayed as well. I was very lucky that a taxi stopped, grabbed me and threw me into his cab. He was very nice and took me to a gas station and to the bathroom so that I could wash my eyes out. I spent the rest of the night washing my face and hands in soap, water and milk. Pepper spray is very effective as a weapon and I've used it twice in Buenos Aires. Getting back to my original point, I found out that another woman was robbed by the same boys in the same location only a few weeks earlier, but he had a knife on him. There aren't many police in Recoleta at night so I hope everyone keeps alert in that area until the gang moves on to some other neighborhood.

I was robbed in Recoleta on Libertador near the law faculty. I saw a group of 4 teenagers walking towards me but two of them were girls, so I didn't think they were anything to worry about. They started asking me for directions and then next thing one of the guys puts a knife in my face.

In that area they can rob you and then disappear into Villa 31. It's a perfect spot.

French jurist said:
For pepper sprays, buy the ones which throw a more solid form (more like a foam) than the purely gas ones = wind will be less of a problem.

It's Buenos Aires and unfortunately they sell only one brand of pepper spray. I have to say, you get hurt in the process but your stop your attacker in seconds. I've used it twice and after the episode last week I used up almost an entire can of pepper spray. They sell ones that look like lipstick for women to carry with them. Less conspicuous.

I'm always looking in the reflections of windows and mirrors to see who is behind me; even during the day time. I didn't panic because as soon as I passed by the kids walking down the middle of the street I knew that one was going to follow me and I had the spray in my hand and ready. It happened within seconds. There was no way to turn back from where I had come or go forward. You have to keep your head on and defend yourself. Police are normally stationed in front of the Alvear Palace Hotel but of course there were no policemen around that night. Recoleta is a very dangerous zone because the theifs from the villas know that people have money in that area. I used to live there and saw a lot of robberies and attacks and eventually moved.

va2ba said:
I have to ask. What on EARTH made you decide to stand there and mock the guy?

Well, I didn't really mock him, since I am such a 'corazon de oro' I thought maybe he does live here I will give him a chance. So I asked some questions....

Then when his answers were rediculous, EG., that he lives on the 3rd floor even though we just use the 3rd floor for office storage space, I had a little fun. Like -

"Yeah! I live on the third floor too, its a great floor, que bueno!!!"

Then he was like "Si, si! I've seen you before, we are vecinos, let me in man.."

Then i was saying, "well, i can't let you in, sorry, but next time you see me on the third floor say hi, che lets drink some mate"

then he got really mad and that was when i turned to leave, and noticed the door wasnt shut

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Jobs 1
I Expat Life 2
Back