schools for children

dZushi

Registered
I am looking for a school for my kids that is reasonably bilingual (my kids will learn English at home, anyways) but more importantly has good general education. I hope for a school that has a mix of locals and some foreigners so my kids don't feel too out of place. I am Japanese-American from California and my husband is Argentinean so a little diversity would be nice. If possible, I'd like a school near Palermo where we live. I've done some initial looking but it is difficult to find out much beyond what the schools tell you. If you know anything about any of the following schools, I would really appreciate it: New Model International School, Lange Ley, Manantiales, Bayard, Victoria College. others? Thanks

Check-out the adds from the Buenos Aires herald, the big private schools are normally looking for teachers.
Northlands college is the best and most exclusive private school in BA to my knowledge

Hi,
Victoria college has been merged with another school and is no longer in Palermo but in Belgrano. I fear Bayard on Salguero might follow the same fate. Few students in expensive neighbourhoods is not a good equation for any small private school
As for Northlands, Saint Adrews it surely beats no other when it comes to diversity, since many people from the foreign service in Argentina choose those schools. the same applies to corporate expats. As for the money you pay, and the level you get, it's the most renamed but by no means that guarantees a better education than any other bilingual school in BA. The cambridge exams that students at these schools are trained for are exactly the same of any other bilingual school with an average level (no A levels just IGCSE, exams that british kids stand for at 13 while in Argentina it's during the last year). However, if diversity is your ultimate goal despite the price don't doubt it. Both schools don't profess any religious faith and you can find students from different religions
If English is not a problem, then I would choose the Lycee Francais in Palermo. Top education, good infrastructure, and diversity at half the cost.

No one mentioned Lincoln or BAICA. BAICA is slightly religious, non denominational and Lincoln is non-religious. Both have secure school bus services which pick up and return the children. Both are very multicultural and both will provide the PSATs and SATs required to attend in univ. in the US [or most anywhere else]
Beware of newly minted schools as the tend to disappear quickly.

I agree with your point on new schools but at Lincoln, they will only deal with americans, and then that's not diversity, if they intend to stay for long in Argentina

Actually Lincoln is quite diverse. I think they have about 60 nationalities represented in the student body. [it is, however, very expensive]

Ghost,
I had normally thought of Lincoln as a school for americans living in Argentina but it seems that is history

"ghost" said:
No one mentioned Lincoln or BAICA. BAICA is slightly religious, non denominational and Lincoln is non-religious. Both have secure school bus services which pick up and return the children. Both are very multicultural and both will provide the PSATs and SATs required to attend in univ. in the US [or most anywhere else]
Beware of newly minted schools as the tend to disappear quickly.

Hi ghost, regarding BAICA, are the secured school buses service provided by the school itself? Will they pick students who live in Federal since BAICA is located in San Isidro (about 30 to 40 mins from Federal)?

Yes the buses are provided by the school. And driven by people who are civilized and educated in the art and science of transporting children. BAICA is moving this weekend to a totally new facility which is now the most modern in BA. We choose BAICA for our 15 year old son because it has very small class sizes, dedicated teachers and offers the US program. Should he elect to return to the US for college. About half of friends are native Argentine and the rest are US and Euro. The fees are somewhere around $6000 per year and Lincoln runs about $20,000. per at USD. I am not familiar with other tuition schedules.

Back