Scooters in BA

allala

Registered
Hello everybody,

We want to stay in BA for 3 months and before going through the residency process we already would like to get around the city on an Electric scooter. My question is;

1. is it possible to own and take insurance on such a scooter without being a resident yet?
2. Does anybody know a good website for second-hands?
3. Do they get stolen a lot?
4. Is the rest of the traffic hostile against scooter drivers?

1708288874345.png

Last edited:
i would answer #4 with another question - do you have a death wish?

in my opinion, it's not that people are any more hostile but drivers are all over the place, and people on motos are generally pretty careless themselves weaving and lane splitting. it's definitely a risky proposition. if you are not already familiar with riding a scooter/moto i wouldn't even entertain the idea. if you are already used to riding in an environment like that, well, then you probably will manage well enough.

Hello everybody,

We want to stay in BA for 3 months and before going through the residency process we already would like to get around the city on an Electric scooter. My question is;
Motos eléctricas: una por una, todas las que se consiguen en...
  • Gilera EG II.
  • Sunra Hawk.
  • Lucky Lion Italian.
  • La gama de motos Nuuv.
  • Elpra City Coco.
  • Super Soco TC.
  • Ecooter E2L1.
18 ene 2022
1. is it possible to own and take insurance on such a scooter without being a resident yet?
Need DNI
2. Does anybody know a good website for second-hands?
Not recommended for foreigners
3. Do they get stolen a lot?
A lot
4. Is the rest of the traffic hostile against scooter drivers?
Very
El año pasado se vendieron 1.929 motos eléctricas en Argentina. La marca que claramente domina este mercado es Sunra (56,1% del total) con su modelo Hawk (scooter), que vendió 281 unidades en 2022.20 mar 2023

Value average US$2000 plus

Last edited:
This may be just a matter of semantics but here goes. Coming for three months doesn't usually involve residency. If you are coming to do business you'll need a business visa; if you are coming as a tourist to do touristy things - including working online while enjoying a change of scenery - depending on your nationality you might need a tourist visa but for many nationalities entry for three months (90 days) is visa free. None of this involves what is known as residency.

As for scooter riding, electric or otherwise, I'd heed the wise words of @sts7049. I wouldn't be willing to ride, drive or pedal anything on these roads

Electric scooters here are relatively rare and expensive. Not sure if that makes them more or less vulnerable to theft. Electric bikes are also expensive and rare, and definitely get stolen more.
But the problem I see with one is where do you charge it? I suppose the best solution would be to find a garage near where you live, and cut a deal for charging to be included in a monthly garage fee. Because unless you are pretty wealthy, you will not be living in a place with a garage or secure yard where you can charge it at night. You wouldnt want to leave it on the street overnight anyway.
And there are not public charging stations to speak of. They may exist, but are not common or widely spaced.
I know a few Argentines who use scooters as their daily transport, and they range from over 50 professionals to twenty somethings. I seldom see scooter accidents in the city- in 15 years, I think maybe 5- and they are almost all very low speed accidents, as in most of CABA, getting above 30mph only happens on the autopistas.
I have ridden bicycles and driven rental cars in CABA (I am 68) and dont find it particularly scary. Compared to driving in Manhattan or Rome or Paris, which I have done, BA is not bad. I just go slow, and perhaps annoy fellow drivers by using turn signals and staying in my lane, and have had no problems. Much less swearing and honking than in US cities. It looks scary, but cars are expensive here, so most drivers bluster but back off before damage.
If you really want a scooter, my advice is buy a cheap gas one, and spend your money on a lock..

If you are experienced driving a scooter / motorcycle in an urban environment, go for it.

I drive a car and I'm used to the ebb and flow of traffic here, but I find it more challenging than the states. People don't follow traffic laws as closely.

I do think it's a little dangerous to ride a scooter. Make sure you park it in a garage at night, and be careful of where you leave it out. There is a theft problem in BA.

This may be just a matter of semantics but here goes. Coming for three months doesn't usually involve residency. If you are coming to do business you'll need a business visa; if you are coming as a tourist to do touristy things - including working online while enjoying a change of scenery - depending on your nationality you might need a tourist visa but for many nationalities entry for three months (90 days) is visa free. None of this involves what is known as residency.

As for scooter riding, electric or otherwise, I'd heed the wise words of @sts7049. I wouldn't be willing to ride, drive or pedal anything on these roads
Enter the country on a visitor visa.....visa upon arrival. Go to your destination. Do your thing for as long as want. A few days before you leave go to immigration and pay your small fine if over 90 days. Do not pass go.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Expat Life 8
MilHojas Expat Life 8
B Newcomers Forum 2
Back