Scottish independence: SNP dismisses expat voting call

walkingtwig

Registered
From bbc news:

Scottish ministers have dismissed calls to give Scots living outside Scotland a vote in the independence referendum.
Labour MSP Elaine Murray said it was "massively unfair" they should be stopped from having their say in such an important decision.

read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16607480

What do the argentine scottish ex-pats think, should we have a say? Should scottish people in england have a say? will it realy matter?

I would love to have a say.

But do I have a legitimate right, other than being born in Scotland?

I have lived outside the UK for the last 22 years and haven’t paid tax there for more than 25. I think that people who live , work and pay taxes there should have more say than me.

My heart says yes but really my head says no. It’s a hard one to call.

Abit off topic, but I was thinking....There is a good chance they could become independent, through self determination. The government in Westminster are up for giving them a straight, yes, no, vote. This is huge for Britain. Could the Falklands/Malvinas remain British, but Scotland become independent? How crazy is that! Especially as I believe many kelpers came from Scotland.

Chaz said:
Abit off topic, but I was thinking....There is a good chance they could become independent, through self determination. The government in Westminster are up for giving them a straight, yes, no, vote. This is huge for Britain. Could the Falklands/Malvinas remain British, but Scotland become independent? How crazy is that! Especially as I believe many kelpers came from Scotland.

It seems like there´s a bit more oil in the Fauklands so that could be a mitigating factor.

Hey cameron says it's up to the kelpers... maybe if scotland gets independace they might push for a vote to become scottish... that would shock both argentina and england equaly...

EXACTLY, what nobody seems to realise is that the Falklands are 97% SCOTTISH ! Oh, and 3% Helenan/ Chilean I almost forgot. Any Brit who's been there instantly knows it's jockland.

Aconcagua said:
It seems like there´s a bit more oil in the Fauklands so that could be a mitigating factor.

I do not think so. Scotland has been providing a huge amount of money from North Sea Gas and Oil for years and there is more up there. This is a debate about self determination.

i only recently found out i wont be allowed to vote in this referendum. i haven't lived or paid tax in scotland for 4 years now.

If the only options on the table are yes/no then its yes but i would prefer the devolution max solution rather than full independence.

as for the falklands with a population of 3-4k ish they'd be the smallest country in the world if they became independent. I reckon they should though.

Back