Securing your bag in restaurants

John.St

Registered
Having read a thread or two about the risk of having bags stolen in public places like restaurants, I don't understand why everybody else don't use my simple trick in e.g. outdoor restaurants where I always place my bag on a chair next to me - fastened to the bag is a thin but strong nylon cord with a carbine hook (both mountaineering equipment).

Loop the cord around one arm of the chair or through its back, fasten the hook on the cord and a thief will have to run off with chair and all.

john-st-albums-blighter-himself-picture75-carbine-hook-strap.jpg

Itzz azz simple azz zat!

reeldee

Registered
In lieu of mountaineering cord, I usually loop my arm,( or leg )thru it..........that way the theif has to run off with me; much more than he bargained for.

Charlsi

Registered
hmm I wish I had that idea when my bag was stolen at a Havana last week...some lucky old lady got a new camera, ipod, passport, and cash. I had just arrived here and wasn't yet aware of how sly these thieves are! Oh well, karma is still alive and well right!?

John.St

Registered
reeldee said:
In lieu of mountaineering cord, I usually loop my arm,( or leg )thru it..........that way the theif has to run off with me; much more than he bargained for.
- or perhaps exactly what he does bargain for? :D - romantic elopement using bag as a means.

Grazie

Registered
The best idea is NOT to carry a bag at all. Use pantpockets and a jacket with loads of compartments. Here in BsAs I hardly carry a bag at all, and when I do it is usually when I am driving.

John.St

Registered
Grazie said:
The best idea is NOT to carry a bag at all. Use pantpockets and a jacket with loads of compartments. Here in BsAs I hardly carry a bag at all, and when I do it is usually when I am driving.
Yes, and use a plumier like this one for larger sums of money, belt through loop, plumier inside clothes

john-st-albums-blighter-himself-picture73-dk-penalhus-esp-plumier.jpg

OTOH it does take some pretty large pockets to carry a 1,500 page book + notes +++