Security Deposit Return

I would suggest you to find a local person to help you to talk and deal with the greedy landlord. I will share the similar experience here.

I have a friend who recently visited Buenos Aires from Europe. She called my boyfriend (a Porteno) one afternoon and asked my boyfriend to talk to the taxi driver on the phone. It turned out she had a taxi ride for about 10 blocks in Recoleta area. And the taxi driver asked her to pay 2000 Pesos. So my boyfriend talked (and yelled at ) to the taxi driver: "the lady will pay whatever it shows on the taxi meter, otherwise we're calling the police". The taxi driver got scared and just accepted the deal and took off. I hope you can find some local person to help you.
Thank you for that great advice. Would it help me to report it to the police. We don’t speak Spanish so it’s a challenge. Neil one of the members here said he would help. We’ve asked to meet with the landlord so I’m waiting to see what happens.
So sad, we trusted this guy and paid in advance.
Lesson learned.

Talk to Inquilinos Agrupados

No guarantees they can help, but probably your best bet.
Thank you. I will do that.

Do a Google search for "viveza criolla". You are gaining valuable experience in Arg. Best practice is never buy anything you haven't seen in detail, in person.
Thank you. I did. Sad that stuff like this exists.

Do you have his DNI? If so just threaten to go to the AFIP and tell them is is illegally renting out his property and not paying taxes :D

Do you have his DNI? If so just threaten to go to the AFIP and tell them is is illegally renting out his property and not paying taxes :D

This usually does the trick. Unless he gave you an actual official (government-backed) invoice, just tell him you're reporting him to AFIP.

Hi, My husband and I are seniors, and are visiting Buenos Aries for 3 months. We rented an apt in Palermo paid a $1000 deposit. The landlord lied to us and misrepresented the apt. It was filthy old broken furniture and mold in the bathroom. We are moving and now he’s threatening not to give us back our deposit. What are our options?
Thank you. Any advice will be appreciated.
Much too high a deposit. Ridiculous.

Somebody gave me a flyer a while back about Defensoria del Pueblo. They cover all kinds of issues. There’s one that deals with Housing (vivienda) and another that’s labeled (Turista). I’ve never used them but they might me able to help. I’m sure there’s somebody who speaks English there. Unfortunately there are a lot of lowlifes here who prey on visiting tourist. Good luck with this and keep us posted.

Back