Security Precautions in Buenos Aires

I think your Number 3 is a BIT exaggerated. Mind you, I have had some cabbies that have tried to scam me, given me fake bills, secuestered me in the cab because I didnt have a bill smaller than a 100 peso note, and I still don't do all of this and take cabs quite frequently.
I try to use mainly Radio Taxis, specifically some of the companies like Radio Taxi VIP or Radio Taxi Recoleta where possible, these have older men who take their cabbie job quite seriously (some even wear ties) and have been in the business all of their lives. These have usually been reputable 9 and a half times out of 10, I'd say. One of them even comped me when HE didn't have change. I gave him my info to come back and pay him the next day and he did call but told me to forget about it and if I ever needed anything, to call him again.

For airport trips, I use a cab driver DE CONFIANZA

Another safety pointer here, believe it or not, is just general loyalty. Find a cab driver you like? Most of them would bend over backwards to give you their number for airport rides. That's what I do with one that is especially good and he now gives me special rates thanks to the volume of business I give him. The same goes for cleaning ladies and most other people in service jobs. Here loyalty, with some people, does go a long way because it's not very common and surprises them so much that they actually appreciate you going out of your way to call THEM and not just anybody.

Also, I find that you don't have to dress like a slob, porteños themselves tend to dress pretty nicely, but there's a difference between ¨nice¨ and ¨showy¨ , you just have to be aware of your surroundings and not be flashy about your things. Gentlemen, roll your shirt cuff over your watch. Ladies, don't flash jewelry around or wear necklaces/chokers that are exposed. If you need to make a call on your mobile in public, make sure it's not on the corner of any street (moto chorro) and hold the phone tightly with both hands if possible. Use inside coat/suit pockets when possible.

As an old friend of mine, who used to be in special forces once said to me:
'Be the grey man.'

nicoenarg said:
I think one of the most important ones is being careful should not mean "BE PARANOID". In fact, if you're paranoid, you give it away that you have something that the robbers would want, automatically making you a target.

An example would be coming out of the bank and repeatedly touching your pocket where you put your valuables. And looking aroound in a frantic fashion. Try to remain calm and try to stay aware of your surroundings in a cool manner.

A tip to always know what's going on around you if you're walking on the street is to not look back over your shoulder all the freakin' time. Try to use the glass or reflective surfaces next to you (store windows and stuff) to make sure you have no one following you. This becomes part of your every day habit.

Finally, if someone IS really following you then DO NOT TURN AROUND AND TELL THEM TO MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS. Instead, jump into the next supermarket, store or whatever and if you're in a place where there are no stores then cross the road to the other side of it. If they keep on following you, then look up, focus on someone random on the road and call out to them with a name like, "Eduardo!" or something. Nothing foreign, because if you call out "Kevin" or something, you're making the random dude a target too. (This calling out the name thing works only if the random person you fixated on just now is not part of the gang. If he or she is, then you're sadly, how do I say it politely, uh f***ed!)

If you see a bunch of people in a group on the pavement drinking a gallon of Quilmes each, its better you cross onto the other side of the road. Not everyone drinking Quilmes is a criminal, in fact most of them are not, but don't take any chances.

I think Quilmes should be illegal only because it's so awful.

El chabon said:
If you think that is necessary, I would take the first flight back from where you are from

Surely you mean '..........the first flight back TO where you are from.' ??
Don't mean to be pedantic fellas, but grammar is quite important.

LostinBA said:
I think Quilmes should be illegal only because it's so awful.
When my brother visits me from the UK, he describes Quilmes as innocuous, which more or less sums it up.

Gringoboy said:
When my brother visits me from the UK, he describes Quilmes as innocuous, which more or less sums it up.

I don't know about innocuous. I freakin' got sick after drinking it a little and no it wasn't a hangover or anything, I didn't get to drink enough to get a hangover. Its pretty horrible is what it is. But hey, its the pride of the Republic....or some such BS.

nicoenarg said:
Panini, you don't know what a remis is yet you feel qualified to tell people that BsAs is a nice place? Sure, listen to Panini, get your ass robbed the first day you're here.

Oh found it just now....My sincere apologies for not knowing what a private car service is called, I guess I'm just not used to getting a private car to drive me around.....taxis are fine for me. I find that the drivers are generally super nice here if you talk to them....but from the posts I'm reading I guess they're very working class and can't be trusted. Follow the above advice; pay for private cars instead of taxis if you want to go anywhere in the city, taxis are too dangerous to take in Buenos Aires......

nicoenarg said:
You might want to use your Google skills to tell you what PRETEND means too.

Ooppps my mistake! Hope the phone doesn't ring while you're talking to your 'wife'

Panini said:
I guess they're very working class and can't be trusted. Follow the above advice; pay for private cars instead of taxis if you want to go anywhere in the city, taxis are too dangerous to take in Buenos Aires......

OR you could just read what people write and be careful. Like the following:

The fact of the matter is that not every cab driver is out to get you, there is a very minute minority.

And seriously, what the hell is a "Working class" and how does that have anything to do with "can't be trusted". What are these, feudal times?

A remis is a very useful tool that many use. Depending on how far you go, they are often cheaper than taxis (or at least were). I used to use a remis service when we lived in Pilar for my family to go to the grocery store when I didn't have time to drive them 9 kilometers to the nearest grocery store. And most places like malls and bigger grocery stores out there have remis counters outside to take you back.

Friends would come out to visit me in a remis. At the time it was around 85 pesos for a one-way trip of about 35 kilometers. A taxi would have been around 100+ pesos for the same trip, and very reluctant to make the journey because he wouldn't a round trip fare.

Since moving back into the city a couple of years ago, I haven't hired one, so I don't know how pricing is nowadays. But don't think of them as a "private car service" from you come from. It's not quite like renting a luxury Lincoln to take you places.

Back