Seeking advice, tips, and wisdom on the subject of moving to Argentina

As said above find a job that allows you to work remote , before coming to Argentina . Then just come down as a tourist, able to renew for six months, and with your BA contacts solve the issue of residency. If you like it here.

gotcha. i think that's important context because often time argentina gets a lot of wanderlust from people who have no idea of realities here :)

1. Tips/experience on getting remote work
finding remote jobs may not be as easy as you think. my arg gf has been looking for almost a year now for remote work paying in USD, and there are not many opportunities. you might be better off finding something before you leave, but keep in mind companies might want you to be authorized to work where you live. so you would need residency/visa in place to live here and work remote.

2. Tips/experience working in Argentina
you should go ahead and forget about working a local job here. not only will you get paid peanuts compared to what you will earn outside, and there are many other complications you will face. not worth it.
Thanks so much for the info. Yeah I have the potential to work towards getting a job at a tech company in BA through family but I think you’re right, it’s best to get that job here in the USA and then travel.

So you absolutely need to get a work visa to stay they and work on your computer? I know technically you’re supposed to but I was able to work part time online in France while I was out there. I was considering getting a student visa to learn more Spanish (since mine sucks) and then just working online

1. Don't look for work in Argentina. Local wages are horrendous.

2. Remote work isn't hard to find if you're going to be a developer. Start on something like Upwork, build a client base, and expand from there. If you do a good job, you'll get referrals and on going work.
Upwork? Okay that’s a great lead thank you! I’ll check it out

As said above find a job that allows you to work remote , before coming to Argentina . Then just come down as a tourist, able to renew for six months, and with your BA contacts solve the issue of residency. If you like it here.
Okay perfect this is exactly what I was thinking. Thank you!

Thanks so much for the info. Yeah I have the potential to work towards getting a job at a tech company in BA through family but I think you’re right, it’s best to get that job here in the USA and then travel.

So you absolutely need to get a work visa to stay they and work on your computer? I know technically you’re supposed to but I was able to work part time online in France while I was out there. I was considering getting a student visa to learn more Spanish (since mine sucks) and then just working online
argentina isn't going to know, or care, if you are here as a tourist working remotely. your employer is the one who might care where you are working from. if not, then better for you!

Go for it!
If you have family ties to Argentina, you may be able to get citizenship for the asking, though I have no expertise in that field whatsoever.
In any case, you're 25, your life is before you, and there's damn little future for your generation in the USA.

Admittedly, Argentina is a dumpster fire in a train wreck right now, but I love this place, with all my heart. I hope to live the rest of my life here.

Yes, there are many pitfalls. Between the viudas negras and the muchachas con manija, even going on a date can be dangerous, but isn't that also true, to some extent, in the US of A today?

So, hey, Montrose's Toast -

"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

N.B. In this context, "desserts" means what you deserve, not the sweet after dinner. I saw some clown online had used Google Translate and came up with "postres".
That’s a great toast, salud!

I’ve heard it’s dangerous and am worried some about that. But I think I have a good mindset to take the risk. I was living in Ecuador this year for some months and learned a good deal about the dangers of many South American countries.

Anyway how did you end up down in BA? Have you lived in any other countries in the region? I love the idea of going to Argentina because of family ties but I’m open to just about any other place as well

it's not dangerous in CABA. like any big city, there are neighborhoods you should generally avoid or be cautious about at certain hours, but most crimes are petty stuff. watch your belongings closely, don't sit with your phone on the table in the restaurant, be careful on the bus/subway, and you will be fine. the other popular cities around the country are fine too.

now, rosario is a different story...haha

That’s a great toast, salud!

I’ve heard it’s dangerous and am worried some about that. But I think I have a good mindset to take the risk. I was living in Ecuador this year for some months and learned a good deal about the dangers of many South American countries.

Anyway how did you end up down in BA? Have you lived in any other countries in the region? I love the idea of going to Argentina because of family ties but I’m open to just about any other place as well
How did I wind up in Buenos Aires?. Well...

Nine years ago, in my early 50's, I found myself unemployed and unemployable, at least as far as corporate HR departments were concerned. I looked at my prospects, thought about retirement, calculated my probable social security benefits, and realized I needed to do something drastic or wind up a sad old man living under a bridge and scrounging for aluminum cans.

I thought about the fact that I hadn't been overseas since I was a teenager in the late 70's. Looking hard into the mirror, I asked myself, "well, old man, do you still have the balls to roll the dice one more time?", and I was delighted to find that the answer was an emphatic "Hell yes!"

So I got a passport, took an online course at U of Toronto to get a TEFL certificate, sold everything that wouldn't fit in two suitcases, left my 25-year old car with the key in the ignition and a signed pinkslip in the glovebox, and got on a plane to Argentina.

It's been a wild ride, and not always a happy one, but I'm very glad I came. I love Argentina with all my heart. I genuinely respect and admire el pueblo Argentino. This country has made me a better man. BUT, the last of the old wanderlust has gone. I'm ready to settle down here for good, God willing. (knock on wood). But not in Buenos Aires. This place is too much the big city for me. When I was a small boy we lived in a place where the f****** rooster woke you up before the alarm clock went off. I'm thinking I want to look around to the different provinces, especially San Luis.

Back