Seeking Organic & Paleo/primal Food Buddies (And Info)

HelaineT

Registered
Hi everyone!

I'm arriving in early October, and this time I'm staying for 3 months.

I'm looking to this list to find some organic-foods-and-Paleo/Primal buddies to help me with information!

I lived 20 years in Italy, and came back to the US 5 years ago to get happily "spoiled" by the availibility of wonderful organic foods. I eat about 90% organic, no sugar, no dairy, and now no grains. I feel great. My last visit to BA was rough because I didn't do my homework and couldn't find most of the foods I love. The dieteticas help just a little. Those two months were rough. On the positive side, I did start eating beef - yum! - for the first time in decades (trusting that in parillas it was grass-fed). When I got back to the US, I started following Mark Sisson's "Primal Blueprint".

I've found what look like 2-3 great resources for organic produce, and even grass-fed meats, pastured poultry and eggs :

http://www.elgalpon.org.ar/elgalpon/mercado/mercado.html

www.elrinconorganico.com.ar I know that El Rincon is a little restaurant that coordinates orders for clients; I'd rather go to the source.

http://iriarteverde.com.ar/

Can anyone tell me which you find the best of these, and why? Is there a great one I've missed?

I'll also be looking for (am I dreaming?):
- extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil
- apple cider vinegar with the "mother"
- food grade hydrogen peroxide
- other organic oils, in addition to olive
- cold pressed castor oil

A while back while lurking on this site I saw some posts on these topics from several years ago, and I trust that the organic food situation in BA has evolved.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm looking forward to getting to know you!
Helaine

Coconut Oil (as in food grade extra virgin oil), not possible to my knowledge and I have hunted high & low.

El Galpon in Chacarita has edible coconut oil for use in cooking etc. That's also virtually the only place you'll find organic fruits, vegetables, meats, and dairy.

I've seen different types of cold-pressed oil at several little organic almacens, the brand is "campo claro.

There's a feria that happens sometimes in Palermo called "Sabe la Tierra" that also has lots of organic products. Good luck!

Thanks, Dublin2BuenosAires. I'll pack some of my own coconut oil (organic, cold pressed and unrefined), a big staple in my diet. And I'll check out the one at El Galpon.

And thank you for all the info, Thuraya. El Galpon will be first on my list! I visited Campo Claro's website. They have sunflower, flax seed, and olive oils. Their products are certified organic, and they seem to be a very conscious company. Checked out Sabe la Tierra's mercado too. Have to get clear on days/locations. Main one seems to be way out in the suburbs.

I hope I can make my organic food shopping a simple routine, and not a weekly adventure.

I've heard from a Porteña friend about home delivery of organic groceries. Anyone have any experience?

They sell coconuts in most grocery stores, its not very hard to extract coconut oil from fresh coconuts.

I buy as much organic as I can get. I do fill in with other things from the vegetable stands that happen not to be available. I buy from places that deliver. Three of them I have used are El Jardin Organico, El Rincon Organico and Tallo Verde. (If you search you will find them.) I have been happy with all of them. I might would like El Rincon the best except El Jardin Organico has much wider variety and products. But I order from both and I'm very happy with both.

I have never been to the Galpon because delivery is so convenient but I hear it is a little less expensive.

For apple cider vinegar talk to the people at the yogurt stand at the Galpon. They have a store too and in their store they sell more organic stuff including apple cider vinegar that is cloudy but has no sediment. .I asked if it had the mother and they said "some". Make of that what you will but I would guess it is the best you can find.Their store is out in the suburbs. They have grassfed butter and pastured chicken eggs too. Coconut oil at the galpon as well at the Ayurveda stand.

Can anyone tell me how to get to Galpon if I should decide to go. I don't have a car. Can you get there without one? Great information, by the way!

It's right next to the Lacroze train station. Take the subway.

Coconut oil is also ecellent for massages.

Definitely bring what you can.

Back