Seeking Organic & Paleo/primal Food Buddies (And Info)

To the OP - your beef in an average parilla probably isn't going to be grass fed just as an FYI. Most beef here makes a stop onto a feedlot before going to be auctioned for meat. It is still way ahead of US beef in general as they do live most of their life grass-fed though.

I don't know where to get organic beef here but in Uruguay it is all grass fed by law and nothing is genetically modified either but corn and soy which they claim goes to feed little Chinese children and not Uruguayan. But in Argentina it takes a bit of an effort. You can get organic chicken which may be pretty important. It's pretty expensive and I buy it rarely (but then I eat very little meat) but I have been told that Argentina has taken on the poultry raising methods of the U.S. and if a woman has had breast cancer, some doctors tell them not to eat any chicken for that reason. The hormones can cause breast cancer.

That was enough for me. I sometimes will buy salad in a restaurant that has some chicken, but that's it--except for the organic chickcn that I buy from Rincon Organico or Jardin Organico. I'd really like to go visit these chickens on their home territory and see them for myself.

If anyone does find a relaible source of grass-fed beef, butter, genuine free-range eggs and coconut oil as well as any other paleo/primal essentials, please dont forget to share your discoveries on this thread.

..oh, I was thinking of bringing my own coconut oil from the UK but it looked like the airlines I checked no longer permit passengers to travel with any cooking oils. Good luck if you can, though.

Coconut Oil is available as someone said in El Galpon for 70pesos for a jar. (around 350-400ml i imagine.)

Almond flour is available in Barrio Chino, a little expensive at 20 pesos per 100g, but cheaper than the place on corrientes that has it for 28 per 100g.

Free Range eggs are available In the Market on Bonpland 1600 Palermo Hollywood for 8pesos for 6, as are decent vegetables. I'm not sure if everything in the market is certified organic, but they come from better sources than your average verduleria. And the prices are pretty good. And there's a really nice cat there too who's always up for a pet, oh and apparently a new kitten i'm yet to chat with. It's also a good place to get decent well priced mozzerella, and Natural Yogurt if you still eat dairy.

You can get your decent sea salt & himalayan (if thats your thing) in the Organic shop on Dorrego 1400.... also pure unsweetened cocoa powder
The lady selling the veg there is friendly too.They also have free range eggs, along with loads of anti-paleo grain based stuff that you can hiss and spit at on your way in & out...

I am still yet to find Coconut flour in this bloody city though..
I'm still using quinoa flour which i see as probably the best alternative given the lack of coco and the price of almond flour.

GREAT information. Thanks to all! And yes I hope that if anyone finds more sources you'll post here as well.

..for any lovers of high quality, high cacao % dark chocolate, Casa Fenix is very good on Solis 2022. Last time I was there they sold bars by the kilo at reasonable prices.

The Fenix chocolate is 75% I believe. Very good .

The best to my mind that they sell is their cocoa amargo,differnt from what they sell in the dietetica.It is not alcalinised.
I make chocolate with it that is 90 or 95% cocoa . Contact me if you need any.

Grassfed butter and cheese is available from La choza at EL Galpon. Their chicken are pastured and get a flaxseed supplement for extra omega 3 content.

Woohooo!!! I hit the jackpot. I've gotten my questions answered and found the nucleus of an organic & Paleo community.

Thanks for your responses and further questions Aleina Dee, Arlean, Napoleon, Citigirl, and MarcoPolo!
Arlean, you are a gold-mine! <3

I'm envisioning a solution with weekly deliveries and once-a-month trips to El Galpon.

Citigirl, beef in parillas that's grass-fed/"grain-finished" is a compromise I can handle. However, the feedlot thought breaks my heart; after 40 years as a vegetarian, knowing that I can eat animals that have had a happy life, beginning to end, is important. I'm so pleased to have gotten recommendations for pastured poultry and eggs. I'll be on the lookout for grass-fed/grass-finished beef, from sellers and restaurants, and will report back.

P.S. I'm a raw cacao/chocolate lover too (no/lowest sugar). I was off dairy for years, and am now slowly starting to experiment with grass fed butter, yogurt . . . we'll see. At my mother's in Florida now, and tasted her organic, unsalted butter. Doesn't come close to the smooth, rich flavor of Kelly Gold grass fed butter from Ireland.

I know, it's a gold mine for me too HelaineT. I can see right now a trip to Galpon in my future! I think deliveries and a once a month trip there sounds like a good plan. I've known about Galpon for three years but didn't know all that was available there.

Back