Selling A Car. Process Question.

ElCordobés

Registered
I am about to sell my car. I'm doing with the dealer to avoid screwing around. Our time in Argentina is complete (for now). The car was a 0KM two years ago. I am going to the DNRPA tomorrow for Formulario 02, 13i and 08.

My primary concern. I originally registered the car with my permanent residency DNI. My driver's license still has my old DNI # and everything has my old address. I moved across the street a year ago. I simply have a new house number/altura.

So...anyone sell a car that was registered with an old document/address and then sold when you had a new one? I suspect I can advise the registro of my change in information and complete some forms to update it. BUT...If I just present the old DNI would they know that I now have a new DNI as a citizen. It's a national registrar so I suspect my old DNI will show invalid.

I'm seeking the path of least resistance. I don't want to get into a thing where I need to get a new driver's license in order to complete these forms....just a whole rabbit hole of tramites...I have to do the police verification which requires I be at the location to get in the queue at around 5 to 530hs. :( I would do that first and then the registro but I'm worried about this document issue. I think obtaining citizenship might be an easier process.

EDIT: The more I look it over. The more sure I am that I will have to give them the new DNI and supporting info. When I sign into ANSES...the old CUIT/CUIL changes to my updated one. Then I *might* have to get a new driver's license to match my DNI. I hope not.

Thanks!

All this effort to become an Argentinian citizen and now you're leaving?

An unsolicited opportunity presented itself (3 year commitment). We had not planned to leave. As Camel notes, that's largely the point. We can now return as we wish to Argentina and the Mercosur zone. And we will.

Just to button this up. In the end, I did a private sale several weeks ago to a friend of a friend. We also happened to know several of the same people (Córdoba is small). Worked out nicely as I made more on the sale and was paid in USD which was deposited in the US, The title transfer is complete. II owned the car for 2 1/2 years and sold it for USD1500 less than the purchase price when it was new. Weird. (Had I not been in the US in December-January...I probably would have made money as the exchange was more favorable then).

In terms of process. Using my old DNI to complete the title paperwork and police verification (a 5 hour trámite in Córdoba Capital) was definitely the way to go. There was never any question since my tarjeta verde, driver's license and old DNI all matched. I did the AFIP CETA form with my new CUIT/DNI (a few seconds to complete the form online with clave fiscal) and that was not an issue for the gestor (who the buyer paid to complete the trámite)

All-in-all, selling a car in Argentina was not the nightmare I expected. The 5 hour process to do the police verification went smoothly but long as hundreds of cars line up starting at 430am. I just sat in the car for much of it drinking coffee, playing music and playing on my phone...the final check takes about 2 minutes. You haven't lived until you've done this process. :)

I'm taking off in a few weeks. Looking forward to things like paying 10 X more for health insurance and 4 X for a place to live. Yea! :mad:

Good for you, thanks for following up.
Additional info: when I went to buy a car here in ARg a few years ago, I saw a nice used one that the dealer said would cost 63k, but 'he could talk to the owner and convince him to drop to 60k'.
By chance I saw the same car in the street with a for sale sign a few days later and the owner wanted $52 for it. He had no idea about the 15-20% markup the dealer charged. So buying/selling directly would definitely cut out the middle man. We bought it, which was not so hard, about the same process, but quicker here in Patagonia.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ben Expat Life 5
nicoenarg Expat Life 0
J Services Offered 0
A Expat Life 2
J Expat Life 12
Back