Selling Property - I Need Help With Afip

Chaya

Registered
Hi,

I live in BA and own a couple of properties. In one condo building where I rent out an apartment I bought from the developer 2 extra car spaces as an investment. I'm in the middle of selling one of my spaces but it has become a nightmare. 2 accountants and over a year later I'm in AFIP hell. Both accountants keept going back and forth and getting one more run around after the other. I have paid all taxes. All local, state fees/taxes etc. Now my friend who is my legal local representative just came back and said everything had to be resubmitted because the accountant didn't fill in something correctly online. She also told me they don't believe I haven't been renting out my extra car space and that they will propably assess that I have and pull a number out of the air that I will have to pay tax on. Pee brains can't get it through their thick boned skulls that I chose to buy the space as a property investment. I didn't care about renting it out and the truth is even if I wanted too I could only rent it to someone already living in the building. It's a small condo building and no one needed the extra space. So I didn't have anyone to rent to.

I need help. Dies anyone know someone that can get me out of this AFI nightmare. PLEASE.

I assume you are a non-resident, yes? For non-residents there is a presumed rental income on properties owned (including parking spaces). They don't care if you have rented it out or not. It is a presumptive tax. Which means that you owe the government tax on the property unless you have a way of PROVING that you did not rent it. Usually, that means showing that you personally used the property during the ownership period.

I do know someone who can straighten things out for you. You might still owe taxes, but you won't be dealing with incompetent people. If you want a reference send me a PM.

Good luck.

GS

I had the same problem (but with my apartment) that I'd never rented out while I was overseas for three or four months a year. After a few months runaround I found another accountant who resolved it within a week. For the first and only time in my life I paid a bribe. $US 500 and all was done.

I had the same problem (but with my apartment) that I'd never rented out while I was overseas for three or four months a year. After a few months runaround I found another accountant who resolved it within a week. For the first and only time in my life I paid a bribe. $US 500 and all was done.
Do not feel bad about it, it happens all the time.

I grew up in Congo paying bribes on a dailyyyyy basis.

One of my best friends was born in what was then Zaire, they moved first to Belgium in 1981 and then came to Canada in 1982. They maintain a house in Canada but her father now spends much of the year in Kinshasa, her mother in Dar, her brother runs shoe factories in Mombasa as well and the Congo (! can't imagine the working conditions there :| ) and her sister is now married to a Ugandan and split their time between Kampala, Nairobi and Dubai. My friend was living in Vancouver until her husband got an opportunity in Abu Dhabi but she goes home to Vancouver every summer so we are usually able to see each other regardless. You don't happen to be Ismaili do you? If so we probably have at least a few connections in common.

(ie point of the msg, if you're bs-ing about the Congo, it's not exotic enough)

Back