selling property -transfer services / pay bills as non resident / open bank accounts

peterp

Registered
Looking to sell a property and have some hypothetical questions:

1: I sell a property furnished and the new owner wants all current services: Telephone, Internet and TV etc. Do I cancel the services and have them order the same services again or can they be transferred....if they are transferred and are not paid does the liability for payment come back to me?

2: I assume the 'titular' of a service can be changed easily, ie. to the new owner if they take on the same telephone / internet service. Can ABL, Electric 'titular' be changed as easily, or do you need to take a copy of the Escritura to the service company to prove you are the new owner? If the new owner doesnt change the titular on the Electric bill and doesn't pay it does the liability come back to me or the new property owner?

3: Can a non resident open a Bank Account in Argentina, yes I've read the other threads but they are a bit out of date so wanted to know if any non residents have opened account recently, with who and what was needed (Passport, CDI etc.)

4: If a non resident can't open a bank account, but buys a property and needs to pay the bill remotely how can this be done? Is the only way to have a friend or management agency pay them? Anyone in this situation recommend and management/rental agency?

As of a couple of years ago I had to take my Escritura (proof of new ownership) to the different agencies to transfer them into my name. The previous owner didn't care if the utilities were in his name but I don't know about his liability.

I opened an account at HSBC but they wanted to have my homeowners insurance with them to open the account. They had a good price so I went ahead and did it.

Someone posted in the past few days that they were able to open an account at Supervielle with only a passport, but they didn't provide the address of the branch where they opened the account. I don't know how that would be possible unless they also had a CDI (clave fiscal) from AFIP. Any foreigner buying property would have to get a CDI as well.

steveinbsas said:
I don't know how that would be possible unless they also had a CDI (clave fiscal) from AFIP. Any foreigner buying property would have to get a CDI as well.
There is an old thread about how to get a CDI here: http://baexpats.org/newcomers-forum/486-dni.html#post1616

According to some experiences, the best banks to try are Banco Itaú, Santander Río and Banco Piano.

About bank accounts :

It's true that a few times a year we hear on this forum from someone having only a tourist visa + CDI being able to open a bank account.
Nevertheless I think they got extremely lucky in doing so because, if I'm right, it shouldn't be allowed (in this case, if the bank discovers its mistake, it could freeze anytime the bank account).

The conditions to open a bank account are here :
http://www.bcra.gov.ar/pdfs/texord/t-ctacte.pdf

And what interests us is in 1.3.1.9/iv :

1.3. Identificación de los titulares de cuentas corrientes y de las personas autorizadas a operar en ellas.
iv) Extranjeros con menos de tres meses de permanencia en el país.
- Permiso de ingreso a la República, otorgado por la Dirección Nacional de
Migraciones o por funcionario consular argentino.
- Pasaporte visado por autoridad consular argentina, salvo que convenios
suscriptos por la República lo eximan de ello.
- Tarjeta individual, expedida por la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones.
- Cédula de identidad o cualquier otro documento identificatorio otorgado por
autoridad competente de los respectivos países limítrofes

It seems to be a mix between alternative & cumulative conditions (?) if I refer to the other points in the text.

Here, the "permiso de ingreso" is something specific (investors, people coming here on a specific purpose, non touristic = once they get the permit, they can get a visa).

I live in Bariloche and am enquiring on behalf of someone else. I went to a couple of banks today asking the same question, "can a foreigner open a Bank Account" and was told by both banks NO.

I then went to AFIP and asked the same question. They said By law a Foreigner can open a 'CAJA DE AHORRO' Bank Account with a CDI and Passport. Not a CUENTA CORRIENTE, just a CAJA DE AHORRO. I commented that I hade been to HSBC & Bank de la Nacion and was told I couldn't open an account. The lady at AFIP said no hope with a foreign bank (HSBC) but National banks must. She called the manager at Banco de la Nacion, but he was in a meeting, I'm going back on Monday to the Bank, then AFIP if they still say no.

Will post an update.

Today I returned to the same Banco de la Nacion (in Bariloche) and spoke to the same person who this time agreed it was possible to open a Savings Account (Caja de Ahorro).

I also called by phone Banco Supervielle on their 'Casa Central' number - was transferred several times: (011) 4324 8000. They also said I could open a Saving Account.

Both need the same documentation (take originals and photocopies)

- CDI

- Passport

- Address and Telephone Number (address same as Constancia Policial de Domicilio or Service - see below)

- a Constancia Policial de Domicilio OR Service in your name - Gas/Electric/ABL (can only be put in your name when you have the Escritura in your name). Can't be a service like: telephone, internet, TV etc.)

- Banco de la Nacion also said you had to deposit at least AR$50.

http://www.bna.com.ar/
http://www.supervielle.com.ar/

Be persistent with the bank staff, I doubt they know the rules/laws!

Don't cancel the services. The contract that you sign might actually specify that the place comes with a telephone, for example, so if you cancel the service, you just screw everything up

The new owner will change the name on the various services but will have to show a copy of the escritura to do that. You don't need to worry about liability since you can show that you have sold the place. Of course, after the sale, it will take a month or two before you get the final bills and can settle everything with the new owner.

Your realtor should be able to answer any questions that you have.

HSBC used a contract for my apartment rental with my name and the name of the owner and a bill for gas in the owner's name at that address that was on the contract.

Back