Sending a birthday present to Argentina

Hellek

Registered
Hi!

I am not living in Argentina any more but I'd like to send a friend a birthday present. Is there anything I can send that does not cause any troubles with the aduana? Should be something around 100€ worth, but at the same time unlikely to cause the necessity to pick it up at Retiro (and pay extra fees there). I guess the value automatically makes it necessary to pay import taxes?

I was thinking about just sending her some money via Western Union so that she can get herself something she likes. Does that work well, or is it also complicated (for her) in any way? I have never done that, nor do I have any information/second-hand experience with it.

I am thankful for any input.

Send it plain parcel post with a declared value under U$A25 it will get here fine -maybe slow. She will not have to pay anything or have to go anywhere to get it.

Western Union charges outrageous fees and uses the fake official dollar rate to screw you further.

Anything recommended by cyber K Lucas should be subject to severe scrutiny. Lol.

If your English get's better, maybe one day you will be promoted to real world ops.

Maybe you can go to Harvard with a K scholarship? Lol.

Lucas said:
I've a good experience with this service, many alternatives, professional attention to detail and nil hassle to deal with customs, packaging, post, etc.

Choice the package, check all the options offered, send them the address of the receptor and if you prefer the exact time for delivery (cost extra) to make sure somebody will be there to receive it, pay by credit card or PayPal etc. and they will look after everything, very happy with them.

http://www.aflorar.com.ar

Hmmmm---Wonder why these gifts are priced in US dollars as an alternative to pesos?? Are they trying to circumvent AFIP? :cool:

Unfortunately, limited choice of gifts.

Don't just send it regular post, it will probably get stolen. And if it's expedited it could end up at customs in Ezeiza.

I have USPS packages sent to me all the time. Never had one stolen, one did get lost but it was sent back to the US. I am amazed also...I even had an expensive laptop power supply brick sent to me this way and I got it! Yeah! Maybe Argentina is getting better postal service? I hope so, this is a great place. Maybe they should outsource the government to Norway or Denmark for 20 years. It would become a paradise! :)

Out of 7 gifts to my partner sent from Canada to Córdoba by regular unregistered mail , 4 never made it, mysteriously disapeared in the mail system, including an mp3 player conceiled in a dvd case.

Registered mail is too expensive from Canada.

Luckily, we are, for the time being, flying back and forth every 2-3 months, so we just don't bother mailing anything that will be handled by Correo Argentino. (unless of course its Canada Post the problem....)

My cousin sent me a package of M&Ms when I first moved here. We just thought it got lost in the mail, but it turned out it sat at customs for 30 days before they returned it. A little bag of candy...

snowboarder said:
Send it plain parcel post with a declared value under U$A25 it will get here fine -maybe slow. She will not have to pay anything or have to go anywhere to get it.

Western Union charges outrageous fees and uses the fake official dollar rate to screw you further.

Anything recommended by cyber K Lucas should be subject to severe scrutiny. Lol.

Actually, my birthday present (which my mother declared as less than £5) and was a little makeup bag, earrings...nothing of any value, never arrived this year. It was sent by regular mail. I think that just as people are getting larger more expensive parcels (or stuff sent by fedex, etc) stuck in customs, the smaller ordinary packages are being stolen! If I were you, I'd send money or order her something online from an Argentine store.

I've had 4 or 5 packages sent to me here in the last 3 years. All arrived fine. If it's over 600grams they will have to pick it up at the main post office in Retiro.

Do not mark it as having a E100 value. Your friend will pay +/- E80 to get it out. Keep the value down.

The only package that never arrived was a small padded envelop. I'm guessing the person who sent it messed up the address, but she certainly won't admit to that! lol.

But just as I've had good luck, others have had bad luck. So don't send anything irreplaceable.

Back