Sending Art to US

Deena

Registered
Hi,

Does anyone know the best/cheapest way to send art back to the US?

Thanks!

First you need to go to artes visuales and then the secritaria de cultura to get permission to export any artworks. There are forms to complete.

You need two photos of each painting or drawing.

You also may need an appraisal from the banco ciudad (and another photo).

Or you can just pay a despanchante aduana to do it all (but it isn't required by law).

All of the above applies to all works of art, even a doodle of a flower on a napkin that your four year old made.

If you think the last sentence is absurd, just go to FedEx and ask. That's where I heard that example.

They will not (knowingly) accept artworks for shipment abroad. As the sender you can also "get into trouble" for trying to do so. Laminas (posters/copies) are the exception unless they are individually signed and numbered.

The cheapest way is to do it yourself and take it with you in your luggage.

If you want to do the latter (legally) you will also have to go to the airport the day before your flight and submit the papers (including receipts of purchase). On the day of your flight you will have to go back to the aduana at the airport to have them inspect your luggage prior to check in.

Actually, I did it by the book, exactly as described above (for 30 paintings that I took with me as checked baggage on one flight).

I was quoted a price of over $2000 by a dispanchante aduana. I got the appraisals at the Banco Ciudad (where I also bought some of the paintings at their subastas) for about $200 USD. The only other charge was $100 for one over sized piece of luggage (a 42" flat screen TV box that contained the paintings that were on stretched canvas. The rest were in tubes in another box. I picked up the boxes and the tubes in front of stores in Recoleta (before the cartonjeros got them).

There is no export duty on original art leaving Argentina and there is no import duty on original art entering the US. Going through customs in Chicago was a breeze. I simply showed the agent the Argentine paperwork and he waved me through to my connecting flight to San Francisco.

Back