September 18-25 : French week in BA

Hey French Jurist,

A friend of mine from France was asking me about moving here and setting up a French Bakery. I told her that there are so many bakeries, however i am not familiar with what other pastries french bakeries have. Ignoring all the hassles, laws, etc to start a business here, do you think that its not worth to compete with all existing bakeries or that is would be a good idea?

MatiArg said:
Hey French Jurist,

A friend of mine from France was asking me about moving here and setting up a French Bakery. I told her that there are so many bakeries, however i am not familiar with what other pastries french bakeries have. Ignoring all the hassles, laws, etc to start a business here, do you think that its not worth to compete with all existing bakeries or that is would be a good idea?

I think there's a true market for a real French bakery here : it's very tricky to find a very good "baguette" for instance (crispy on the outside, tender like a cotton's dream on the inside).
Also, good "croissants au beurre" & "pains au chocolat" would sell easily.
Same with pastry, people might get bored with the local cakes (like thicks, with 2 kilos of dulce de leche, etc).

Some French pastries are really easy to make & taste great (like this "fraisier" I made while taking lessons at Gato Dumas from Olivier Falchi -Chief of Le Sud).
268081_10150380854953858_749733857_10552095_201585_n.jpg

283116_10150380855338858_749733857_10552096_4113543_n.jpg

282621_10150380861218858_749733857_10552139_1268104_n.jpg

In BA, there are not that many French bakeries (real ones, offering the real French stuff) : L'épi, a cooking school on Paraguay (they used to sell, and still might sell, real baguettes/croissants), and a few others.

Same with French restaurants in BA, I'm surprised there are so few (Christophe, from Chez Christophe, closed his not long ago).
Maybe 20 real French restaurants for a city like BA = there's room for competition.

Tell your friend to contact me (either send me a PM with her email address, or I send you mine via PM), I'll be happy to help her (furthermore Food & cooking is one of my biggest hobby. I'd also like to open a French restaurant but I lack the free time to do so).

If I was her, I would do it but depending on her financial abilities, less mistakes she'll make, better.

She also can start from home, doing deliveries, for the first year. That would be a logical process.

Agreed that if you high quality basic French baked goods like croissants and pain au chocolat and had a location in a moneyed neighborhood they would probably be extremely popular.

One thing a prospective entrepreneur might want to look into is how much medialunas and facturas sell for here in BA. You probably couldn't make the same quality of croissants as you get in France for that amount (I am no expert, of course). I wonder if there would be difficulty getting Argentines to pay a lot more for a high quality version of what is already one of their staple foods.

HeyBA said:
Agreed that if you high quality basic French baked goods like croissants and pain au chocolat and had a location in a moneyed neighborhood they would probably be extremely popular.

One thing a prospective entrepreneur might want to look into is how much medialunas and facturas sell for here in BA. You probably couldn't make the same quality of croissants as you get in France for that amount (I am no expert, of course). I wonder if there would be difficulty getting Argentines to pay a lot more for a high quality version of what is already one of their staple foods.

You raise an important issue : the culinary conservatism of the Argentineans (except for everything that is made fashionable/hype).
Example : Locals love icecreams but if someone was to open an icecream shop with very original flavours (tomate/albhaca, frutilla/jazmin, roses, etc.) I'm afraid it would be a total failure.

well, who wants to take free make-up and perfume classes with me?
Apparently they are having a few of these events during the week....

http://www.facebook.com/givenchy.ar

Thanks, French Jurist for this awesome link/info, btw!

HeyBA said:

Listen how and practically from nothing a bakery business model was born and boomed in recent times, this interview should answer some of your questions about sales volume, business creation, expansion and franchises rights of that little and unpretentious (factura) called medialuna.

Las Medialunas del Abuelo (interview)

Las Medialunas del Abuelo (web site)

Also good idea is the Medialunas Dieteticas (Light), check it out in same web site.

Cheers

French week sounds like fun. :)

And opening up a French bakery sounds like a wonderful idea! I really miss fluffy croissants and chocolate pastries... everything here seems to have dulce de leche!

Medialunas del Abuelo are indeed delicious!

Even the croissants by French bakeries run by French people in other countries are not as good as they are at just an average bakery in France. Must be something in the water over there.

Back