Share Your Secret: Sunburnt

Girino

Registered
I am asking here since I am sure I am not the only fair skinned expats out there. What is your magic lotion to treat sunburnt?

First, try not to get burnt. Use at least spf 50. A good rule of thumb: if your shadow is longer than you the sun will not burn you. In Buenos Aires between 9am and 6pm the sun will burn you (in other places you have a smaller window, but here it really is all day in the summer). It only takes 15 minutes to get burned.

If you do get burned, apply aloe and Lidocaine as Rodolfo said, but apply a lot and often. I am very fair and have made burns go away in a day by applying aloe every 15 minutes, as soon as it is absorbed apply more. If it is just aloe you can´t apply too much. When I do this the pain stops in 12 hours and there is no peeling. Use lidocaine (which takes away pain) more spairingly.

What about
First, try not to get burnt. Use at least spf 50. A good rule of thumb: if your shadow is longer than you the sun will not burn you. In Buenos Aires between 9am and 6pm the sun will burn you (in other places you have a smaller window, but here it really is all day in the summer). It only takes 15 minutes to get burned.

If you do get burned, apply aloe and Lidocaine as Rodolfo said, but apply a lot and often. I am very fair and have made burns go away in a day by applying aloe every 15 minutes, as soon as it is absorbed apply more. If it is just aloe you can´t apply too much. When I do this the pain stops in 12 hours and there is no peeling. Use lidocaine (which takes away pain) more spairingly.

Don't sunburn ? but with spf 50? no Suntan Line.... B)

Vinegar. Soak a towel in a bowl of plain white vinegar (very wet) and leave on burnt areas for a long time, it will take the heat out.
N

http://www.webmd.com/beauty/sun/20140520/consumer-reports-sunscreens?page=2

Dermatologists' Opinions continued...

When his patients ask about sunscreen, "I say, 'You don't need anything more than an SPF of 30. So don't spend a lot of money on a higher SPF unless you want to.'"

"Sunscreens are safe, but they are part of a total sun protection program," Leffell says. He also tells people to stay in the shade when possible, wear protective clothing, wear hats and sunglasses, and use umbrellas.

Sunburnt equals dehidrated skin.

The best is to apply a gel, never a cream (because the fat that is part of the cream will keep the temperature high). The gels with aloe, like the one from hawaian tropic, and in argentina bagovit gel, applying as much as your skin absorbs.

The towel soaked in very cold water with vinegar also works for the emergency situation.

Not only drink a lot of water, try gatorade or similars, or a cold vegetable broth (providing minerals) and salt.

In few situations, a medical doctor will decide if a shot of corticoids are required to decrease the inflamation.

The worse parts of the body to get sunburnt are the scalpe, ears, and the "empeine" (upper part of your barefood).

The reflection of water and sand make that you get more sun light, and sometimes, when it is cloudy, the uv rays keep damaging your skin

I got a pretty bad sunburn a few weeks ago sitting under a sombrilla at Parque Norte. Don't count on those things to block UV rays.

I got sunburned earlier this year and used this stuff which my husband found in some pharmacy here. It worked pretty well - I was red, but it didn't hurt which was surprising.
capital%20soleil.JPG

Back