Shipping Belongings From the US to Argentina

Two questions for somebody living here who does not have dual citizenship:
would it be easy, or at least do-able, to ship a bicycle from the States to BsAs? & if so, do we have "zip codes/postal codes" here in BsAs that I can use to get a quote for shipping?

It really doesn't matter how many citizenships you have. If you are only shipping a bike. You will pay customs, big time. Just get a friend to bring it on the plane when they visit.

What about gifts? Say a friend wanted to send me a Playstation 3 or a new camera for Christmas from the U.S.? What kind of import or luxury tax would I be responsible for? I am coming down in a few weeks and from what I have read it seems like whatever I want from the U.S. I should bring with me on the plane or pay 50%.
Does anyone know where I could find the official customs website in english? Thanks,

steveinbsas, well I am too drunk to read that website right this moment (http://www.aduanaargentina.com/english.php). I thank you and will check it out tomorrow. Mainly I just wanted to know If I could get over the import/ tax laws for personal electronics by a mail order loophole or otherwise take care-Dk.

Here's the information in English: http://argentina.shipping-international.com/customs/This afternoon S48 posted the following on the thread Moving to BA - a few questions:
"S48" said:
If you are planning to bring your belongings with you and
need to hire a moving company, I would NOT recommend Buenos Aires
International. I did not have a good experience with them. They have
the whole courteous and helpful shtick going on, but they lie through
their teeth and will come up with any bogus reason to charge you more
than what they quoted you.

HiBAJay You say your wife is Argentinian?? want avoid taxes. I am Argentinian I will tell you how you have to do. Your wife has to prove she has been living here, of course , you can do as we Argentinians do, try to get a friend who makes her a contract as if she had been living here to prove it and well I think as for what the law says , there are no taxes for Argentinians moving things, only if you are a foreigner wanting to move here, in such a case you have to pay taxes. Your wife has to do the papers since she is Argentinian.

I just got a price quote to ship 3 "regular" size moving boxes - the 12" by 12" you buy, not even the large ones. I had some shoes, personal momentos, etc that I wanted to bring down. Via Fedex - for THREE BOXES - it was over 1,000 dollars. Plus import/shipping charges.
Needless to say, I won't be shipping anything down here. I will just keep moving things down one suitcase at a time or making friends bring stuff when they visit.

When I returned from CA in April, I had three suitcases that weighed exactly 70 lbs and a duffel bag that weighed exactly 50 lbs. The excess baggage charge was $350, but it might be more now. Fortunately, they didn't weigh my carry-on which was over the 40 lb limit. My computer bag was just under 40 lbs. It all fit nicely on one cart at SFO and EZE (where AR customs looked at the x-rays, but didn't ask me to open anything). Most of my stuff was clothes, books, and shoes....no major electronics.

"Not everyone has had negative experiences with Customs or with Argentine people as some have suggested here.
If you have residency you will have little problems dealing with customs.¨
This is not true in my experience. The customs people here are crooks and solicted a large bribe from us even after we had the residency.

Back