Shipping my personal laptop to Buenos Aires

well, apple products are what customs looks for the most. although my understanding is they finally at least allow you now to bring one computer across as part of your personal duty or whatever so if you bought a new macbook outside i think you can bring it in without paying duty. it will be much cheaper to buy one outside the country, and you will likely not find the latest and greatest model here.

https://www.thebubble.com/argentina-customs-tax-electronics-afip/.

It looks like I can buy it and bring it in.
Without unpacking it or pretending is not new?

Is this true? If this is the case then I ll fly to US

You guys are great! I am not going for this option for sure. Not brave enough to take this risk.

Ok... So alternatives...

I am for sure traveling through Bolivia, Chile not in my plan but if this is the best option I can change my plan.

Otherwise I have friends in Uruguay.

What do you guys suggest?
There is no risk, guaranteed you will never see it again.

If you do end up unpacking it etc, at least set it up so it doesn't show the first-time "Welcome" screen. Customs guys here are smart enough to check that, I've heard. And it takes just 5 minutes.

Have you considered a muling service like Grbr?

I wouldn't worry about bringing in a new computer.
I've never been asked to show my computers. But just in case, when I have a new one, I set it up and load some photos before arriving so that it looks like I've been using it. Bringing in a new machine, unwrapped and unopened, would be tempting fate.

i'd unpack it. i wouldn't give them any opportunity to challenge you on it.

This is from the official web site....

http://www.afip.gob.ar/viajeros/

You can see an easy visual recap.

My understanding is I can carry a laptop with me as long as it is for personal use, it doesn't matter if it's new or not. I suppose I can just say I bought it for myself.

If not I guess I have to pay 50% of the value (no VAT) - 500$

Let's say MBP 1500$ - 500 / 2 = 500$ on top...

Hopefully I don't pay anything.

Interesting thing...a family can share the exemption.
500$ per adult + 250 (below 16y). Which mean a family with 2 kids can bring in a new MBP for sure with no risk.

There’s an apple store in Chile. I’d check the cost of flights to Chile on your way to BA along with the price of a MBP and compare with flight to US and cost of MBP there. You may find some savings.

My understanding is I can carry a laptop with me as long as it is for personal use, it doesn't matter if it's new or not. I suppose I can just say I bought it for myself.

If not I guess I have to pay 50% of the value (no VAT) - 500$

You are overthinking the issue.

You can travel with your computer. You are not even a resident here. Just take it out of the box and actually start using it. To make it clear that you are not bringing it in for sale.

There’s an apple store in Chile. I’d check the cost of flights to Chile on your way to BA along with the price of a MBP and compare with flight to US and cost of MBP there. You may find some savings.
What is MBP?

I would check the price of the computer in a Chile "Apple" store. There are "Apple" stores here where you can buy new Apple computers....for a price.

T/

Back