Shipping Pets Requires A Private Company? Is This True?

LostinBA

Registered
At least 2 airline cargo departments have told me that pets MUST, by law, be shipped using the services of private companies such as worldwides dogs due to customs regulations. I really find this hard to believe. Frankly, I think it's just another Argentine ripoff.

Has anyone else experience sending a dog via cargo to the USA and/or Canada from Argentina?

Thanks,
Jason

I think it might depend on the airline you fly with. I have flown with American Airlines with a cat and will be flying with them in a couple weeks with him. I have never had to hire an outside cargo company, they handle everything and he goes in a cargo department of the plane. Nothing seems to have changed from the instructions they gave me for this upcoming flight.

If a person travels with the pet its fine.
So unless you travel to deliver it get someone to do it for you
it will be even cheaper for you.

Thanks all.

An update...upon further investigation, some people in the cargo department say it's not a law and others say it is...the ones that say it is law, claim that a agent or broker must be used when shipping fido via cargo. The ones that say it is not law have mentioned that it's up to each airline. It seems that checking your pet as checked baggage possibly avoids all this but then you're restricted by the "black-out dates" which are most of the summer for North America. To further complicate the matter, not all airlines will allow customers to check pets as baggage and insist you use their cargo service. Oh, the horror.

Thanks all.

An update...upon further investigation, some people in the cargo department say it's not a law and others say it is...the ones that say it is law, claim that a agent or broker must be used when shipping fido via cargo. The ones that say it is not law have mentioned that it's up to each airline. It seems that checking your pet as checked baggage possibly avoids all this but then you're restricted by the "black-out dates" which are most of the summer for North America. To further complicate the matter, not all airlines will allow customers to check pets as baggage and insist you use their cargo service. Oh, the horror.

Our dogs flew in with us from Colorado and they accompanied us to and from Montevideo last weekend via the ferry (both trips were incredibly easy and you just had to have the correct paperwork and vet verifications). However, they were "carry-ons" and we didn't have to deal with the luggage/checked bag issue. Honestly, I don't know that I would have brought them if I had to let them out of my sight (this may or may not be a personal issue that I'll have to seek professional help for at a later date...) only because you never know how they'll be treated and if they'll be cared for properly. Large animals flying as "cargo" isn't the safest thing and I've heard of them dying due to dehydration, stress and exposure to the elements.

United Airlines was excellent. Call instead of booking online and let them know. If the flight(s) are large enough to allow animals at all, you should be able to reserve the space for your dog ahead of time. But you can't just show up hoping to pay the fee and expect to board.

Hi. I'm pretty upset because I purchased a United Airline ticket specifically because of it's petsafe program, but now they are saying that I have to use a private carrier. Does anyone have any updates to offer? I don't travel until April, but I want to start to get this worked out.

Hi. I'm pretty upset because I purchased a United Airline ticket specifically because of it's petsafe program, but now they are saying that I have to use a private carrier. Does anyone have any updates to offer? I don't travel until April, but I want to start to get this worked out.

Hmm... On your other post you said this was for a cat, so why not bring it on board with you in the cabin? United allows in-cabin, so long it is a small pet, you have the vet/health paperwork in order, a carrier that meets the requirements and pay the cat's USD $125 (each way) ticket.

http://www.united.co...s/in_cabin.aspx

Ive flown Delta And united with my Pomeranian under my seat within the last six months. Just need the paperwork and a small enough carrier that it will go order the seat.

Back