Shipping Things Back To Us

rnajlis

Registered
Hi,
I am leaving Argentina to return to the US. I need to send my things back, and am trying to find an affordable way to do it.
Mainly I have clothing and books.
I remember when I lived in Taiwan, when I went back to the US, I sent my books by ship and it was much cheaper. I'm not sure how I would go about doing that from Argentina.

In addition to that I have some large oil paintings which will need to be dealt with separately. They are around 150cm x 120cm

Thanks a lot for the help.

Robert

Check United, American, and Delta cargo services. It can be much cheaper than FedEx.

This is from United baggage information for the flight that you would actually be on…this is different than their cargo service.

Third bag and Any Additional

up to 62.0 linear inches (157 cm)
and 50.0 lbs (23 kgs)
$150 per bag

Oversized Bags

from 63.0 to 115.0 linear inches (160 to 292 cm)
$200 extra per bag

Overweight Bags

from 51.0 to 70.0 lbs (24 to 32 kg)
$200 extra per bag

from 71.0 to 100.0 lbs (33 to 46 kg)
$400 extra per bag

Bags which exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm) and 100 lbs. (45 kg) will not be accepted as checked bagage.

Special Items

Items which may require extra handling charges are listed in the baggage information section

You will have a terrible time trying to ship paintings. Dismount them from the stretchers. Roll them up. Take them as luggage in a PVC tube.

The painting if you try to ship them you will require legal certification of each and every work. It's a pain. if there is a possiblity of doing as Ghost recommended, do so!

Could one put the paintings inside a suitcase and take them that was as checked baggage without the legal certification?
What if YOU are the artist of the paintings which are clearly signed by you. Can you take them out stretched in that case without certification?
I'm bringing a portrait that I'm painting of my sons dog to him when I go for the holidays and was figuring I'd just lay it on its stretchers in the bottom of my suitcase. Am hoping that a portrait of a French bulldog would be above suspicion?...

You will have a terrible time trying to ship paintings. Dismount them from the stretchers. Roll them up. Take them as luggage in a PVC tube.

If the Customs at Ezeiza detect that, missed flight for sure + detained overnight + fines.

Indeed, an authorization from the Direccion de Artes Visuales is needed (process takes like 2/3 weeks = first, bring the paintings at Banco Ciudad in the Microcentro, etc.).
Also, it depends on your migratory status, but if you're a tourist (& might even apply to a resident, unsure), you can export 1 painting per year, if I recall. Above that, you need to be registered as an exporter...

I had a few verbal fights with custom agents here... Came up to discuss the definition of Art (long story), with me drawing quickly a sketch on a piece of paper and saying, so this is Art, and I can't export it now, right? But in the end, it's easy to guess who will have the last word.

A possible "creative"/viveza criolla solution: if you need to travel back & forth to your country before moving, import in Argentina a few rolled canvases on which you'll have painted quickly anything. Make sure to declare the artworks upon entering Argentina... Then you know what to do after...

Back