Shock at the Supermarket

ElQueso said:
Even the "cheddar" slices I buy in the super taste like American cheese (think Kraft) - which is better than nothing considering I could probably cook the plastic seperators that come with some Danbo cheeses and not know the difference from the cheese slice itself :D

Damn how I miss Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar...

You should try the "La Suerte" Chedder, its actually pretty good, probably not quite cracker barrel but it is actually chedder.

I've been here 5 1/2 months and most of the things I buy have increased, not all but most. I was drinking Quilmes Red at first and that started out at 6.75 at Carrefour and now 8 or more. Many items have increased 10 to 20% since coming to BsAs. I'm stuck on instant coffee, which I don't like but still drink, has went from 16 something to 24 or more. It's gonna get worse before it gets better I'm afraid.

steveinbsas said:
So far this thread has been very general. Can anyone cite some specific price increases on basic items like butter, bread, or beer?

200 grms of butter here is about 8 pesos. A 970 cm3 liter bottle of Quilmes BOCK just hit 12 pesos, but pan de campo frances is still only $1.50 per loaf (and it's very good).

A 1.5 liter bottle of Levite cost 3 pesos in June of 2009. Now it is 6 pesos in most locations and even over 7 in some locations. Thats the only one that I can recall to give you, but its pretty revealing. Inflation seems to be around 40% a year.

Damn how I miss Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar...[/quote]

El Queso, La Tablita in Belgrano is a little gem of a cheese shop and has national and imported cheeses. It's not cheap but the cheddar is so sharp it will make your gums ache so little is needed...worth a vists for all cheese lovers and they let you try everything before hand so you know what you're buying..no plastic cheese there! See http://www.fiambrerialatablita.com.ar/

steveinbsas said:
So far this thread has been very general. Can anyone cite some specific price increases on basic items like butter, bread, or beer?

Since nov last year:

Raviolis - $13 to $22
Sauce for raviolis - $5 to $7
Cheese puro rallado for raviolis - $8 to $13
Yoghurt tubs SanCor - $1.55 to $2.99
Peanuts - $7 to $8.50
Terma - $7 to $9
Condenced milk - $9 to $11.50
Bananas - $8 to $10.50 however were $5.99 at coto yesterday
Milk - $3.50 to $4.15 however i am now buying the cheap dia brand for $2.50
Cheese wedge size i buy - $15 to $20
1/4 kg ice cream fredo - $18 to $27

I dont recall what i was paying for most fruit and veges as they go up and down all the time, however compared with what i would get for $20 in Nov to what i get now they seemed to have increased alot, and compared to colombia its 2 or 3 or 4 times more expensive.

Was just in Coto yesterday and the really cheap brand of canned cat food (sorry, can't remember the exact name) is up to 8.50. A month ago it was 4.99.

I've honestly stopped comparing prices to what I paid even 1 month ago. All it does is depress me and make me angry.

PhilipDT said:
You should try the "La Suerte" Chedder, its actually pretty good, probably not quite cracker barrel but it is actually chedder.

Good recomendation Philip as that was a breakfast staple in our house. How much is the average wedge these days - last time I bought it in Jumbo July 2011 it was 17pesos..any increase there?

I buy a wedge of gouda cheese that cost 15/16 pesos before Christmas (when I last paid attention). Its now just over 20. A big bar of milka chocolate that was 14 pesos in Carrefour a couple of months ago is now 20.
I find mate the funniest (?) though. Its probably going to go up another 100% (with all of the disputes between the govt and the manufacturers going on right now). It's in the canasta familiar (so its price is somewhat controlled by the govt) and yet if this next hike goes through, it would've increase in price by 300% since 2006 - 200% in the last 12 months alone (a hike supported by the govt)...but inflation is 10%, right?

The Bonpland co-op market (http://asamblearia.blogspot.com.es/p/mercado-bonpland.html) has some great prices on basic staples. Granted, I haven´t been there since January, so lord knows what´s changed, but a few months ago a kilo of lentils was 6 pesos, a kilo of unshelled walnuts 34 (!), a loaf of pan integral about 8, fresh mushrooms 5 per 250 grams, the produce dirt-cheap. I can´t remember the prices of the cheese, yogurt, or eggs, but they were certainly more reasonable than anything in Disco or Carrefour.

Back