Should I Do a Visa Run?

Joe

Registered
I've read a lot of posts on the visa run and am unclear what I should do.

I don't think I would be classified as a perma-tourist. I was a perma tourist in 2009 and 2010 with no problems. I left Argentina in August at Iguazu with an overstay and paid the fine. Returned in March and paid for a 10 year visa in my US passport at EZE. Plan to leave in August, probably for several years (plan to hang out in cheaper Asia for awhile).

3 Questions:

1. Does an overstay void the 10 year visa?

2. Should I do a visa run?

3. Should I go the Migraciones?

My opinon is don't bother. If you end up leaving the country for travels before August worry about it at that time. It is my understanding that overstaying won't impact your reciprocity fee for entering the country, as the visa (tourist, 90day is separate--the 10 year permissions you paid for isn't actually a visa but more of a tax you've proven that you've paid). Either way, I don't think it would impact you much one way or the other considering your short stay.

The 10 year sticker you have isn't a visa - it's a receipt for an entry fee that is valid for 10 years. Totally separate.

As for the rest, I would always encourage people to follow the laws and either get the renewal or head out of town for a day. But certainly the choice is yours.

Just pay the penalty for over staying at Ezeiza on your way out. If you want to follow the law to the letter, head over to Uruguay and come back. I doubt you will have a problem. Never go down to the immigration office.

I wouldn´t worry about it. It´s going to cost you more to go and come back than just paying at the airport. (Then again, I´m about 5 months over...)

This is somewhat related-- I'm in the process of getting a work visa (have job, FBI report, birth certificate all ready) but have overstayed my tourist visa. I'm assuming that if I want to get the work visa I'll need to have a valid tourist stamp in my passport, no?

Anyone been through this without a valid tourist stamp? Also, any recommendations for places to cross into Uruguay besides Colonia? Aren't there some good places to cross in Entre Rios, Colon, etc? Thanks!

Back