Should I Enroll In Usa Health Insurance

My plan, this 68yr old Gomer is going to meet his maker in Argentina. From what I have seen, (middle class retired friends/family in the USA using Medicare and supplement insurance) am better off in Argentina. Sad state of affairs in the USA. My 88 yr old mother going through some medical stuff and expenses, it is travesty: medicare/supplement insurance. Medication alone is $500.00 a month. Take my chances in Argentina.

I heard a piece on NPR recently about a man in the USA who needed a hip replacement. His insurance wouldn't cover it (what else is new?) so he investigated other countries and ended up traveling to Belgium for the operation because it was so much less than any hospital quoted in the USA.

I want to thank everyone for all the good information and suggestions.

Jantango raises the idea of getting medical somewhere other than the USA or Argentina.

If you needed care for something serious like heart surgery, a new hip, cancer care, would you have it done here or where?

I want to thank everyone for all the good information and suggestions.

Jantango raises the idea of getting medical somewhere other than the USA or Argentina.

If you needed care for something serious like heart surgery, a new hip, cancer care, would you have it done here or where?

I have friends in the USA who have routine procedures done in Argentina because of the quality of care and the cost. Why go to the USA where they charge too much for everything? If you're here to stay, consult with doctors who will get to know you and listen to you. I never knew any in the USA who did. I have excellent doctors with Plan 210 OSDE. Be prepared because of your age for a high monthly charge if you decide to sign up.

I keep my US plan since I am back and forth frequently. Swiss just asks for your passport...no DNI required.

Hold it. You need to do a little more research. You are talking about Medicare part B and D. Check out the Humana Advantage Gold plan.It is a "Buy Back Program" meaning that Humana takes care of your Part A, Part B and Part D. In one package and you pay zero premium. Not $130.00 per mo, Zero.
Also consider that if you drop the Part B and then pick it back up later you will pay a small penalty forever.. The Advantage Programs very by state. Each is different. Our US residence is Florida and FL has great Advantage programs [I pay Zero for A, B and D and get a free health club membership etc.] When we are here I am covered. However in Argentina my wife is a Doc so we get prefered treatment benifits and her insurance covers the entire family. Do a little more research before you dump a valued benifit.

This is really a matter of personal values. I am insured in Argentina but if anything went seriously wrong I'd much rather be treated at a major teaching hospital in the US. Unfortunately I wouldn't have that option at this point in my life -- but I hope I won't need it. MEdicare covers about 80% of costs. The extra policy the poster is talking about covers the rest. From my perspective, $130 USD a month is very little to be sure of full coverage if needed. At this point the writer is not coverted at all in Argentina -- apparently pays out of pocket.

Obamacare? It's not going to be free. I can't imagine a policy will cost less than $130 a month.mor ANYWHERE near that. BTW, does anyone have any idea just what it will cost and will American citizens living abroad be required to pay?

I split my life almost equally between BA - Florida and Massachusetts -- living at about the same temperature year round. Advantage plans paying a zero copay are fine for those I believe living in one locale. You go to the doctors within their groups. Referrals are necessary. Old Medicare - no referral is needed. One can live anywhere in the USA including territories and always be fully covered. there is no extra payment. The lowest monthly payment is somewhere around one hundred dollars a month. then part B you need another insurance and part D another too .. It all does add up. Also, if your income is above a certain figure then you pay more for all of these coverages too. I pay less now than when I worked. To me medical coverage is important. I guess if you figure you will always live in Argentina then you might be fine to drop the coverage. Problem is you do not know if one day you might have to exist Argentina for reasons we cannot predict today. I think your 130 a month is good insurance to keep. You know how your pocketbook is looking -- I think whatever coverage you are holding is significantly cheaper than my own. Part B is $426 quarterly; Part D is $41 per month; Supplemental to cover copays is $179 a month. Thus roughly I am paying some 362 per month to be covered. Advantage plans have their advantages - it all depends on what you wish to get. For my normal use - I am overpaying for medical coverage as I am pretty healthy. It is those major operations where you are fully covered from the ambulance ride to the hospital until the time you walk out of the hospital. You walk right by the cash windows as all of your bills are covered. I am 69 today - I do not plan to return to the workforce if at all possible. Volunteerism is just fine. This topic raised many thoughts - it was nice to read the various answers. Walter

I split my life almost equally between BA - Florida and Massachusetts -- living at about the same temperature year round. Advantage plans paying a zero copay are fine for those I believe living in one locale. You go to the doctors within their groups. Referrals are necessary. Old Medicare - no referral is needed. One can live anywhere in the USA including territories and always be fully covered. there is no extra payment. The lowest monthly payment is somewhere around one hundred dollars a month. then part B you need another insurance and part D another too .. It all does add up. Also, if your income is above a certain figure then you pay more for all of these coverages too. I pay less now than when I worked. To me medical coverage is important. I guess if you figure you will always live in Argentina then you might be fine to drop the coverage. Problem is you do not know if one day you might have to exist Argentina for reasons we cannot predict today. I think your 130 a month is good insurance to keep. You know how your pocketbook is looking -- I think whatever coverage you are holding is significantly cheaper than my own. Part B is $426 quarterly; Part D is $41 per month; Supplemental to cover copays is $179 a month. Thus roughly I am paying some 362 per month to be covered. Advantage plans have their advantages - it all depends on what you wish to get. For my normal use - I am overpaying for medical coverage as I am pretty healthy. It is those major operations where you are fully covered from the ambulance ride to the hospital until the time you walk out of the hospital. You walk right by the cash windows as all of your bills are covered. I am 69 today - I do not plan to return to the workforce if at all possible. Volunteerism is just fine. This topic raised many thoughts - it was nice to read the various answers. Walter
Hello Walter. Very informative posting. I will be 65 come next May, 2014..Paying US$975.00 per month here in CA in Kaiser Permanente hospitals, a major private clinic operation one here in CA. As I understand by listening to the experts on the upcoming Obama-care universal health plan coverage, being informed that my contribution can not be higher than twice if a younger person let say in the 20's pays around US$100.00 then my bill will be twice that amount. Now when comes to Medicare plans so far no body tells me as to how much my bill is going to be.? Do you have any insight or can you point me out in the direction so to find out more about the plans.? Also to add, if Iam to be established in Argentina from next year and on, I will make sure that I keep my then enrolled Medicare health plan and the national health plan nee the Obamacare definetely plus the Argentinean ones as well. Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Another view but seems that your are paying a very high premium? Which state is your home state for medicare?

Back