Should I extend my tourist visa at Migraciones?

Garry

Registered
Hi everyone, new user here. I've been looking through previous posts about this topic (and boy there are a lot of them 😅) but I still have some questions about my specific situation. Here are the details.

I came to Argentina for the first time in the middle of November, 2023 and stayed for just under 90 days leaving in Ferbruary, 2024. I returned to Argentina for the second time in June, 2024 and got (presumably) a new visa which is due to expire in about two weeks. I want to stay longer in Argentina (for about another 80-90 days) but there are some things I am unsure of.

First, since I got the first visa in 2023, but stayed for about a month and a half in Argentina during the beginning of 2024, will I be able to get a prorroga from Migraciones? I'm not sure. Because if I stay another 90 days, I will have stayed more than 180 days in calendar year 2024, BUT my first visa was issued in calendar year 2023, so I've only had one visa issued this year.

Second, do ya'll think I should even go to migraciones and put myself "on the radar" so to speak, or just overstay and pay the fine? I'm fine doing that, but I would like to revisit Argentina at some point in the future and I don't want to risk not being allowed back because I overstayed. For some context, at this time I do not have plans to stay in Argentina long-term or to apply to become a temporary or permanent resident. I just want to be able to come back as a tourist to visit in the future.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for your advise, this forum is really great and I'm glad I found it!

Hi everyone, new user here. I've been looking through previous posts about this topic (and boy there are a lot of them 😅) but I still have some questions about my specific situation. Here are the details.

I came to Argentina for the first time in the middle of November, 2023 and stayed for just under 90 days leaving in Ferbruary, 2024. I returned to Argentina for the second time in June, 2024 and got (presumably) a new visa which is due to expire in about two weeks. I want to stay longer in Argentina (for about another 80-90 days) but there are some things I am unsure of.

First, since I got the first visa in 2023, but stayed for about a month and a half in Argentina during the beginning of 2024, will I be able to get a prorroga from Migraciones? I'm not sure. Because if I stay another 90 days, I will have stayed more than 180 days in calendar year 2024, BUT my first visa was issued in calendar year 2023, so I've only had one visa issued this year.

Second, do ya'll think I should even go to migraciones and put myself "on the radar" so to speak, or just overstay and pay the fine? I'm fine doing that, but I would like to revisit Argentina at some point in the future and I don't want to risk not being allowed back because I overstayed. For some context, at this time I do not have plans to stay in Argentina long-term or to apply to become a temporary or permanent resident. I just want to be able to come back as a tourist to visit in the future.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for your advise, this forum is really great and I'm glad I found it!
Overstay and pay the fine. By far the most sane option.

An extension creates a file, them you are going to be watering a deportation orden. No file no deportation order, just overstay.

However if you are from some African nation such as South Sudan, who arrived on a tourist visa issued by an Argentina embassy, I suggest to do it properly and apply for an extension. Its not an equal playing field for nationals from all 200 countries

Back