Should I bring EUR or USD?

L77

Registered
Hi everyone.
I am moving from Europe to Argenitna soon so I am wondering is it better to bring EUR or exchange it for USD here in Europe and bring USD to Argentina?

USD is the gold standard in Argentina. Big preference for "crisp" 100 USD notes which have no damage and have never been folded etc. Keep them as pristine as you can.

USD is better. You can sell EUR for pesos, but the rate isn't the same as converting Euro to to dollars then selling for pesos, i.e. you get a lower rate than had you exchanged Euro for Dollars abroad

USD is better. You can sell EUR for pesos, but the rate isn't the same as converting Euro to to dollars then selling for pesos, i.e. you get a lower rate than had you exchanged Euro for Dollars abroad
I’m not sure that’s correct, quite often you get rinsed on the foreign exchange rate in Europe.

Check what kind of rate you get when changing Euros to Dollars.

If it’s more than 5% off the true exchange rate Believe you’re slightly better off taking euros.

Also you frequently get old or marked dollars when you change which have a 5% discount in some places.

Only other thing to consider though is paying rent where often owners want Dollars in hand.

Dollars might seem the way to go initially but many Argentines being also an EU citizen, there’s a lot of demand for the Euros as well. Not on a daily basis but quite frequently there’s Euro exchange happening in larger amounts. Converting euros to dollars before coming may not be that beneficial compared to changing them to pesos in Argentina.

Dollars might seem the way to go initially but many Argentines being also an EU citizen, there’s a lot of demand for the Euros as well. Not on a daily basis but quite frequently there’s Euro exchange happening in larger amounts. Converting euros to dollars before coming may not be that beneficial compared to changing them to pesos in Argentina.

I think that there is no substitute for doing your own research in your own locality. What @Lanick said is probably so but a person ought to see what actual rates they would get at their local exchange in Europe and see how that holds up against the actual exchange rate in Argentina. GBP are not EUR but I find I get better rates by buying fresh, clean USD100s in my favourite exchange place in the UK than by trying to exchange GBP directly for ARS in Buenos Aires. YMMV.

Agreed on all the above, but I will say that if you want to just make a decision and move on with the rest of your planning, then convert EUR to USD in Europe and come here purely with USD.

Don't make a decision until at least next week. Maybe bringing half dollars and half Euros might be a good idea. The market has been very volatile lately, and the best options for exchanging and sending money are likely to change shortly after Milei is in office. In the meantime, open an account with Charles Schwab if you don't already have a debit card that doesn't charge international ATM fees. Open a Western Union account and study the costs of different ways to send and receive money to see which has the lowest fees for you. Start watching the daily MEP rate (for using debit ATM withdrawals) and CCL rate (which the Western Union rate usually follows) and compare the daily movement fluctuations of the blue dollar and Euro Dollar. https://www.ambito.com/contenidos/dolar.html

Back