Should Maradonna be sacked - or even walk!

I don't care about what he's like as a person. But as a DT, he's absolutely horrible!

I want Argentina to go to the World Cup in 2010, but if Diego is the manager, they're only going to go to the beach in June/July of 2010.

:(

Don't you worry to much guys, Argentina wills qualify for the world cup, and not only they will , but also bring the Cup back to Argentina like they did in 1986, exactly same situation, repechaje, played against Australia to qualify, they did and went on to win the World Cup in Mexico that year.

Diego Armando Maradona - England vs Argentina - Mexico 1986

...finger cross.

More proof that the greatest players make lousy coaches, in almost any sport. String him up by the pelotas before it's too late!

Lucas said:
Don't you worry to much guys, Argentina wills qualify for the world cup, and not only they will , but also bring the Cup back to Argentina like they did in 1986, exactly same situation, repechaje, played against Australia to qualify, they did and went on to win the World Cup in Mexico that year.

...finger cross.

Actually that game against Australia was in 1993, I remember because I was at the game. Argentina and Maradona went on to shower themselves in glory at the USA94....

No tactics, no strategy, no ideas.....there is no downside to Maradona being replaced now, by anyone, only positives.

Grondona probably is too exhausted from his extortion of Cristina to do anything, and Maradona will not resign. It is now or never. A coach coming in now has nothing to lose, but at least has the honour of leading the home nation at the 2011 Copa America.

Russo, if he can be prised from Central Rosario? A gentleman with some horse sense needed.

Hi Liam, I watched the match at a packed restobar the other night and I was just as upset as the locals to see Argentina lose. I would hate to see a World Cup without Argentina. It certainly won't be the same for me watching the World Cup next year without my adopted country playing. Let's hope they manage to make some miracles in their last two games.

Chau

Michelle

Liam3494 said:
From a social perspective, Argentina is a football mad country, and the failure of the team to qualify for the World Cup would have a social impact on the country - so I go back to the question, are the football fans here interested in what happens to their adopted countries team?

rmartinbuenosaires said:
Shouldn't Maradona be in jail for a hit and run or something not to mention his drug use?

Didn't he even admit to cheating in one of his own world cup performances back in the 80's?

I find it interesting that such a useless individual can be idolized when his personal behavior and attitude is completely immoral. Tragic that a country uses this as a symbol of their nation. Put him in the same cell with D'Elia. They have much in common.

The best of Argentina is not Maradona or Che Guevara. I wish there was more done to promote positive people to represent this wonderfully diverse country. But who would that be?

Lucas said:

...finger cross.

What are you smoking?

MichelleAlison said:
Hi Liam, I watched the match at a packed restobar the other night and I was just as upset as the locals to see Argentina lose. I would hate to see a World Cup without Argentina. It certainly won't be the same for me watching the World Cup next year without my adopted country playing. Let's hope they manage to make some miracles in their last two games.

Chau

Michelle

I don't know that much about the game but I have seen Brazil beat Argentina many times and I think it is because that Brazil plays as a team while Argentina has too many egos to be a team. I think it would be good for Argentina to miss a World Cup in order to get really serious about this sport that they love so much.

RescueMe said:
. . . . positive people to represent this wonderfully diverse country. But who would that be?
Despite their failings, Borges, Sarmiento, and San Martín, to start.

But the country has had more than enough of its people's tendency toward hero-worship and messiah-hope. Better, I'd think, to encourage individual responsibility and self-reliance, together with civic-spiritedness: difficult, given the circumstances, but not impossible.

Back