Registered
According to today's (19 Dec) BA Herald online the exchange rates are:
Official rate US$1.00 = $13.30 Arg Pesos
Blue rate US$1.00 = $14.05 Arg Pesos

Now what?

For me it's like this:

Official rate: Go to bank, wait for an hour
Blue rate: Go to cueva, wait 30 seconds

Looks like blue wins on customer service. A bit more money faster service.. I think Banco Nacional will never be able to compete with that.

Sounds perfect, like UPS vs US Post office.
They devalued and the economy takes it well. It shows how stupid K was, unnecessarily made it hard for the Argentine people.

They devalued and the economy takes it well. It shows how stupid K was, unnecessarily made it hard for the Argentine people.

Uff the impact of that truth.

I'd hold off judgment on whether the economy will take it well, so far the imports haven't actually started up again for most companies, and we've still got the big sell offs by the agricultural sector coming, not to mention this thing called summer when the peso really tends to show it's value. And a lot of companies seem to just want to make it through christmas before adjusting any prices.

How well will all Argentina take the changes remains to be seen. Prices, sindicatos, strikes, agro sector... are always sleeping this time of the year. If negotiations for salaries won't go well (and is very likely it won't), there will be trouble. Could be a shitty year, even if now everything looks quite OK..

I'd hold off judgment on whether the economy will take it well, so far the imports haven't actually started up again for most companies, and we've still got the big sell offs by the agricultural sector coming, not to mention this thing called summer when the peso really tends to show it's value. And a lot of companies seem to just want to make it through christmas before adjusting any prices.

Correct...!! for regional economies to return to the international markets as well as wheat, corn , barley, etc. to regain lost markets will take a few months , after the summer...?

It may no longer be present, but if you do want speedy official dollar transactions there used to be a Banco Piano office in the Sheraton hotel in the lobby that never had queues.
May be gone pending a return though.

Back