Show us your money. Renting in BA: what's the go?

I'd recommend looking on AirBnb. You can get some really good deals on long term stays - we have been here for 4 months and are currently paying 800 US per month. No worries about getting any furniture, setting up internet or bills. Just arrive, stay and go!

Thanks for your replies. Am I hearing the Airbnb is the smartest way to rent for 3-6 months? Or are there indeed furnished studios and apartments that can be rented without the guarantor conditions etc? Surfing the net is kinda confusing, it appears to be a minefield out there. Most of all I would like to get a rough indication of how much I might need to pay per months, wanting to keep my costs down (and to see if I can actually afford BA for 6 months). Are there many share apartment opportunities, if so where would I look? And does anyone have a recommendation for areas.

Is the USD 1500 viable per month if it includes rent?

Thanks again.

for that short a time i would absolutely use airbnb. transparent costs, no need to worry about bills or anything else like that. plus you get some protection from them if there are issues.

i imagine a host would be more than happy to negotiate a bit too on price for a medium term rental like that too.

You have mentioned this as a possibility several times, but I have yet to read any posts made by an expat with a foreign based income who has been able to buy a seguro de caucion.

If I understand correctly, your income en blanco and your ex's income en negro are generated in Argentina and you and your ex are both Argentine citizens.

Trying to imagine a "best case scenario" (for example), would a retired couple from the USA who each receive Social Security income of about $1500 USD per month be able to buy a seguro de caucion and would it make any difference if their Argentine residency was temporary (renewable annually) or permanent?

You should go and apply for the seguro and they can give you real feedback.

You should go and apply for the seguro and they can give you real feedback.
Does this mean that you have no factual basis for the advice that you continue to give (which is read to foreigners in an expat forum) about buying a seguro?

PS: It would be a shame if any foreigners actually came to Argentina believing they could buy a seguro (to rent without a guarantor) as you have indicated and then found out it wasn't possible to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guz
Definitelu
Thanks for your replies. Am I hearing the Airbnb is the smartest way to rent for 3-6 months? Or are there indeed furnished studios and apartments that can be rented without the guarantor conditions etc? Surfing the net is kinda confusing, it appears to be a minefield out there. Most of all I would like to get a rough indication of how much I might need to pay per months, wanting to keep my costs down (and to see if I can actually afford BA for 6 months). Are there many share apartment opportunities, if so where would I look? And does anyone have a recommendation for areas.

Is the USD 1500 viable per month if it includes rent?

Thanks again.

Definitely look at AirBnB. Especially since you won’t be in the highest season, I would anticipate that some owners will be happy to negotiate a lower rate for a long term stay. That way you won’t have to deal with any of the insanity of setting up your own apartment. For 3-6 months in BA, it’s not worth the hassle.

Cool mmoon, and thanks everyone. I've been cantering around airbnb today and I. can see some pretty okay places for between 500-750 USD a week, which would be fine with me. So that is likely the way I will go. Some are independent apartments, others a room to share in an apartment. Does anyone know if there are other avenues to pursue for a shared gig - it might make the experience more social, which would bar ideal.

Cool mmoon, and thanks everyone. I've been cantering around airbnb today and I. can see some pretty okay places for between 500-750 USD a week, which would be fine with me. So that is likely the way I will go. Some are independent apartments, others a room to share in an apartment. Does anyone know if there are other avenues to pursue for a shared gig - it might make the experience more social, which would bar ideal.

Thread posted on 7 Jan 2019 by Fettucini, who is a forum member....
Hi,
We have a room coming free in our house in Palermo, with double bed and AC.
It's a five bedroom house with two large terraces, parrilla, kitchen, living room and two bathrooms. Would be living with four other working travellers.
Price is 450 USD/ month. More info below:

http://casaguavabuenosaires.blogspot.com/2014/01/welcome-to-home-of-casa-guava-beautiful.html?m=1

Does this mean that you have no factual basis for the advice that you continue to give (which is read to foreigners in an expat forum) about buying a seguro?

PS: It would be a shame if any foreigners actually came to Argentina believing they could buy a seguro (to rent without a guarantor) as you have indicated and then found out it wasn't possible to do so.

As I mentioned before, I have already used it and working under the table is accepted. However, the consultations that arise are from a different fact basis where speculation has no sense. The best is to apply and get feedback if this is possible or not to get with less even requirements (passport instead of DNI, foreign income or retirement, etc.).

Thread posted on 7 Jan 2019 by Fettucini, who is a forum member....
Hi,
We have a room coming free in our house in Palermo, with double bed and AC.
It's a five bedroom house with two large terraces, parrilla, kitchen, living room and two bathrooms. Would be living with four other working travellers.
Price is 450 USD/ month. More info below:

http://casaguavabuenosaires.blogspot.com/2014/01/welcome-to-home-of-casa-guava-beautiful.html?m=1
Hey Gracielle! Thanks for your message. Your place looks really nice. When does it become available? I am still in my planning stages and am yet to book my ticket, but if everything falls into place I would expect to be in BA around the end of April. What are the typical ages of people staying in the house? Or perhaps it is a wide variety just depending on who is around at the time. Saludos!

Back