Six months per anum in Argentina now required for temporary visa renewals

I apologize if my post implied that you were confused. We are confused!

All we really want to know if this means that everyone with a visa temporiaria (temporary residency) must physically be in Argentina at least 181 days per year in order to renew their visa.

steveinbsas said:
This is a critical issue for many who have a temporary visa, don't "live" in Argentina, and in the past have not needed to count the number of days (in a year) that they are actually in country!

Well, when I read decree 616/2010 a year and a half ago I realized that rules were a lot more restrictive.

That s why i developed the citizenship strategy :cool:.

As I asserted a year ago, it is only a matter of time to enforce the new law.

I suggest those people with issues with the residency to apply for citizenship.

Regards

steveinbsas said:
I apologize if my post implied that you were confused. We are confused!

All we really want to know if this means that everyone with a visa temporiaria (temporary residency) must physically be in Argentina at least 181 days per year in order to renew their visa.

Yes!

[FONT=&quot]Art. 62:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]c) El beneficiario de una radicación permanente hubiese permanecido fuera del Territorio Nacional por un período superior a los dos (2) años o la mitad del plazo acordado, si se tratara de residencia temporaria, excepto que la ausencia obedeciere al ejercicio de una función pública argentina o se hubiese generado en razón de actividades, estudios o investigaciones que a juicio de la Dirección Nacional de Migraciones pudieran ser de interés o beneficiosa para la República Argentina o que mediara autorización expresa de la autoridad migratoria la que podrá ser solicitada por intermedio de las autoridades consulares argentinas;

La mitad del plazo acordado (Half of the time agreed) means 180 days.

Regards[/FONT]

Bajo_cero2 said:
Well, when I read decree 616/2010 a year and a half ago I realized that rules were a lot more restrictive.

That s why i developed the citizenship strategy :cool:.

As I asserted a year ago, it is only a matter of time to enforce the new law.

I suggest those people with issues with the residency to apply for citizenship.

Regards

I posted this last April (9 months ago):

steveinbsas said:
A few months ago someone (perhaps on of the attorneys) posted that migraciones was "requiring" six months presence in Argentina per year for renewals of the visa rentista. It looks like this rule is "retroactive" for the cambio to permanente.

And you answered with this:

Bajo_cero2 said:
Well, it is arbitrary and illegal. It can be claimed at court and you win it because as I posted in the thread about citizenship (prosecutor´s opinion), foreigners who live here, like Argentinians, have the right to travel with no restrictions.
In this country, every time there is a procedure that you can do without a lawyer, you are in troubles.
But this is a rule here too that when they make every thing too complicated and they invent ridiculous para-legal rules, that´s because they want to be bribed.
Regards

Source: Important update for renewing visa rentista y cambio a permanente!

Does this mean that a bribe will solve this problem?

Or will applying for citizenship cost less? :D

It's really too bad that this thread got so little attention.

Expats who now face this problem could have spent enough time in Argentina since then to have no problem at all.

Without going to court, paying a bribe, or a lawyer.:p

Makes perfect sense. If you're only here less than 6 months out of the year, you aren't a resident and you don't need a residency visa. You can stay in Argentina for 6 months on a tourist visa and if that's all you need, that's all you should get.

TheBlackHand said:
Makes perfect sense. If you're only here less than 6 months out of the year, you aren't a resident and you don't need a residency visa. You can stay in Argentina for 6 months on a tourist visa and if that's all you need, that's all you should get.
Makes sense to me. But I went through ages of BS to obtain permanant DNI, so I don't even bother to think about it anymore.

ghost said:
Makes sense to me. But I went through ages of BS to obtain permanant DNI, so I don't even bother to think about it anymore.

While it's true that most individuals who are here less than six months of the year don't need temporary residency, you can't work in Argentina without a temporary resident visa, even if you are only going to be in country for less than six months. There are a few cases where an individual with temporary residency might have to spend more than six months working out of Argentina in any given year. Under the new policy they will lose their temporary residency and the chance to become permanent on the third renewal.

I'd love for Argentinian law to cater to my personal situation, but unfortunately in many cases it doesn't and what you are describing sounds like a personal problem between an employee and an employer. It's something that they should figure out in order to cater to the employees Temporary Visa requirements and obligations.

It's pretty simple, the law says that if you spend at least 6 months a year living on Argentinian soil you are entitled to temporary residency. If you don't, you aren't and you should be classified a tourist. And as a tourist, I don't think you are supposed to be working in Argentina anyway.

There are many laws in Argentina that don't make sense. This isn't one of them. But i'm sure that anyone looking for an exemption can hire a lawyer and hope for the best.

steveinbsas said:
While it's true that most individuals who are here less than six months of the year don't need temporary residency, you can't work in Argentina without a temporary resident visa, even if you are only going to be in country for less than six months. There are a few cases where an individual with temporary residency might have to spend more than six months working out of Argentina in any given year. Under the new policy they will lose their temporary residency and the chance to become permanent on the third renewal.

Back