Skipping second leg of a flight

Australia, Canada, and US need tourist visas for Brasil starting the 10th of April.

Edit : I actually did a little digging out of curiosity. It looks like some politician promised to pass a law or decree postponing the visa requirement but it never happened. The most recent articles from today all say Americans, Canadians, and Australians need a visa, and I couldn't find any decree postponing the visa requirement again.

Last edited:
me either. i trust the US embassy page announcement about it more than the one article saying otherwise

It gets confusing without a little background.
1. The previous president dropped the visa requirement (2019) with the hope of increasing tourism.
2. The current president issued a decree requiring visa again (2023). Initially set for to be effective Oct 1, 2023, then extended to Jan 10, 2024, and then extended to April 10, 2024. April 10, 2025 being the next extension would just be to save face.)
3. Last week, there was supposed to be a vote on a bill to override the decree requiring the visa. To make it simple, anyone voting against that bill would piss off the tourist industry by letting the decree requiring visa take effect. The politicians did not want to be on record going against the tourist industry, so they negotiated not to vote on the bill and instead extend the deadline again to April 10, 2025. Of course out right cancelling the decree would admit failure.

The last time it was postponed, the confirmation came on Jan 4th, 2024 when the previous scheduled effective date was Jan 10th, 2024. So maybe the confirmation will come today. Bottom line is that if the decree is not postponed, a vote to override the decree requiring the visa starting April 10th, 2024 would happen.

It's official.
"As published in the Official Gazette of Brazil, the Presidential Decree No. 11,982, of April 9, 2024, postponed the entry into force of the requirement for Visitor Visas for citizens of Australia, Canada and the United States to April 10, 2025."

Back