Skyscraper Couples In Puerto Madero

Dada

Registered
I wonder if anyone has an idea why nearly all skyscrapers in Puerto Madero (except the black-yellow one, but that one's not even finished) exist in couples. There's always two that are either connected, or not, but somehow obviously belong together. Even when they are not exactly identical in some cases, they always share similarities which make it clear at first sight which one belongs to which.

Is there a story behind that? Some romantic idea, or a government policy (like Buy1+get1 free)? None of my local friends knows.

I wonder if anyone has an idea why nearly all skyscrapers in Puerto Madero (except the black-yellow one, but that one's not even finished) exist in couples. There's always two that are either connected, or not, but somehow obviously belong together. Even when they are not exactly identical in some cases, they always share similarities which make it clear at first sight which one belongs to which.

Is there a story behind that? Some romantic idea, or a government policy (like Buy1+get1 free)? None of my local friends knows.

If they stand side by side the answer might be that building two separate structures at the same time on the same or adjacent parcels of land adds up to more apartments with more windows with better views and that means higher prices and greater profits. The building process would be more cost effective if the structures are similar (if not identical) in design.

It's always about the money.
emo32.gif

Never been to the top of one of those, but they must provide a great view across the Plata. Wonder what Colonia looks like from there.

Indeed, money talks. I was secretly hoping there would be a proper romantic legend, or that they at lest bother to make one up. It would be easy to do, especially on an island that only has streets named after women and has a lovely yet unnecessary bridge that celebrates a tango pose...

I don't honestly know too much about Puerto Madero aside from the restaurants. But I have an acquaintance who recently purchased a small apartment in one of the towers in Puerto Madero. He raves about the place, which has two towers that are linked in their lower floors by a sort of shopping mall. He says there's just about everything you can imagine in the "mall" from restaurants and supermarkets, to hardware stores and clothing shops. Most places deliver to the apartments with a call.

Maybe this is why? Could be a living model that many of the twin buildings have adopted as they were built?

Argentina architect Cesar Pelli built his skyscrapers mostly in groups (World Financial Center, NY; Petronas Towers, KL)

The reason is the same you see aire y luz holes in block buildings: developers buy the biggest terrain possible but still need for regulation and common sense to allow for some space, air and light in between apartments, so they build complexes when the terrain is big enough to afford it, as it's often the case in the triangular high density residential plots in between the parks of Puerto Madero- behind the row of "dock-front" common rectangular manzanas with a pulmon or heart in the middle.

They look much nicer than the monolithic attempts like the semicircular building of the 70s you see where Santa Fe-Pacifico bifurcates into Cabildo and Luis Maria Campos

Back