Small legal claims?

El_Jameso

Registered
Does anybody know about how they work out here? I've had some trouble with a dodgy rental agency over my deposit.

It does seem like it would be impossible to get it back, given the level of corruption in BA. But, just out of curiosity, where would I take my case, and how would I make it?

First (if I guess right your story), when you left the apartment, did the agency sign with you a statement saying that everything is in order (like it was when you entered the apartment) ?

We haven't actually vacated yet. I'm just anticipating the worst, as they are already making threats!

Supposing we did sign the statement?

Before going to Court, maybe can you explain a bit better the situation (if that's not indiscreete).
Why are they threatening not to give back the deposit ?

Have you paid the last months rent yet? I would simply short it the security deposit.

I know that the Municipalidad de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires has a Defensoria del Turista, and a Defensoria del Pueblo. There are NGOs, here called ONGs, that can provide you specific advice, I believe free of charge. I dont remember pretty well the names, but with nowadays technology you will find it out. Or you may visit a local lawyer, they usually dont charge the first visit, and dont charge a huge fee.

Just tell them the following:
You are reporting them to AFIP for non reporting of the rental income. Go to the following website www.afip.gov.ar and print up a few pages and make some notes. Show this to them when they start threatening you and then call the police to scare them. I am SOOOO sick of hearing these things. The best part is most of these idiots are total cowards, strike back and they crap in their pants.

I agree with David. The tax office is like a dragon that is going to eat argentiniana. You may know by now that in Argentina there is a culture that no one pay taxes. I dont know if you will be able to deal with AFIP if you dont speak Spanish, is that the situation?

Just don't leave the house until you get your deposit back.

Tell them you will give the keys to the cartoneros, tell them you'll find some with kids so it takes an extra long time to get them out.

Failing that, take goods to the value of your security deposit when you leave and let them come find you.

Don't put up with scumbag agencies who make their "extra commission" from withholding deposits unreasonably. Fix the problem the Argentinian way! :)

Back