Smart phone without a contract?

sketchyblueeyes

Registered
Hey peeps
I brought my unlocked iphone down here, and i do not have a dni so i can't sign up for a contract. My boyfriend is getting his DNI in a month or two, so it doesn't seem worth it to find someone to start a contract sneakily for me - do any of the carriers offer pay as you go service for a smart phone? Or do i have to either wait it out for my boyfriends DNI or ask someone with a DNI to do it for me? Any help would be fabo!

I have an iPhone with a pre-paid SIM from Claro.... Just go to Alto Palermo and on the top floor is the official office where you can get a SIM card for 10 pesos with your passport. Then you just buy prepaid cards at corner stores or you can buy credit at the Claro offices.

You cannot get a cell phone plan with only a DNI. You also need permanent residency.

On the Movistar pre-pago plan, you can get data, but it is a real pain...

I use my iPhone 3GS with prepaid Movistar. I disagree that it's a pain; it works fine for me, but it's really expensive, so I just keep it turned off most of the time.

You can send a text message with the number 1 to 226 at any time to get 24 hours of unlimited data for 10 pesos. I do that every once in a while if I know I really need to use the internet while I'm out and about.

P.S. Whenever I turn the data on I have to reboot the iPhone before it will actually work. Turning the data off is effective immediately. This is iOS version 4.1 we're talking about here. I guess that inconvenience could be seen as painful.

By the way sketchyblueeyes, I suppose you bought an iPhone 4G. Was it factory unlocked or software unlocked? If you don't mind my asking: where did you buy it and for how much?

I brought an unlocked 3G with me and tried to unlock it online. What a mess. Does anyone know of an unlocker person here in BA? Thanks

Holden said:
I have an iPhone with a pre-paid SIM from Claro.... Just go to Alto Palermo and on the top floor is the official office where you can get a SIM card for 10 pesos with your passport. Then you just buy prepaid cards at corner stores or you can buy credit at the Claro offices.

I did the same thing and it works perfectly with my iphone. However the staff at Claro didn't really know that they could sell mini SIM-cards that are required for the phone. But they do!
So I had to talk to several salesmen and a couple of managers until I found someone that knew it was possible. Bring your passport and 10 pesos and you'll be good to go!

sketchyblueeyes said:
Hey peeps
I brought my unlocked iphone down here, and i do not have a dni so i can't sign up for a contract. My boyfriend is getting his DNI in a month or two, so it doesn't seem worth it to find someone to start a contract sneakily for me - do any of the carriers offer pay as you go service for a smart phone? Or do i have to either wait it out for my boyfriends DNI or ask someone with a DNI to do it for me? Any help would be fabo!
All of the cell carriers here offer prepaid sim cards here--and in one way they are actually better than having a "full account": I use Movistar for my unlocked iPhone 4, with a prepaid card. If I had signed up for a "full account" there is a minimum of twelve months service that I would have to pay for, even though I spend six months a year in Argentina. I have my DNI but, for the moment I plan to use only the "tarjeta prepagado."

I had previously used Claro but several people told me Movistar's service was better for the iPhone.

BTW, make sure your 3G service is disabled unless and until you need to make calls using the Movistar network since using the WiFi connectivity is free (when you're in range of a hot spot).

Also, install Skype on your smartphone and use it on WiFi for free calling to other Skype users, worldwide. Also, install Viber's app and you can call any other iPhone in the world, free--with better call quality--as long as you and the person you're calling are in range of a hot spot.

misnowmer said:
I use my iPhone 3GS with prepaid Movistar. I disagree that it's a pain; it works fine for me, but it's really expensive, so I just keep it turned off most of the time.

You can send a text message with the number 1 to 226 at any time to get 24 hours of unlimited data for 10 pesos. I do that every once in a while if I know I really need to use the internet while I'm out and about.

P.S. Whenever I turn the data on I have to reboot the iPhone before it will actually work. Turning the data off is effective immediately. This is iOS version 4.1 we're talking about here. I guess that inconvenience could be seen as painful.
How do I pay the 10 pesos for the 24 hours of Movistar data? I already have a prepaid Movistar SIM card.

Thanks

I also have another brand new iPhone 4 16GB but it is locked to ATT. I am told that it can be "jailbreaked" easily by many cell dealers in Argentina but I would be willing to sell it as is--which could be a bargain for the right buyer, compared to the "open market" prices for iPhones in Argentina.

Back