Smart Tvs In Argentina - What Do You Use?

d.gray

Registered
I’m about to buy a new TV here in BA, and I’m going to go with a dumb version rather than a smart one, the aim being that I’ll get myself an Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV and use that to make it smart instead.

But I have no idea about any of these boxes and whether they work here in Argentina. Can I just pick up one of these on my next trip to the UK, plug it in here and go? Or are there any restrictions? Anyone have any recommendations? It would be great to hear what other people are using.

Thanks!

You can bring your own Apple Tv or Amazon Fire TV, however country restrictions about the services available here apply. For example, you can access Netflix, but you will have access to Netflix Argentina catalogue, not to Netflix UK catalogue.

I am using an Apple TV and basically what I can do is either to access Netflix Argentina or cast my iPad screen on the TV.

I have a smart tv and have it connected to the internet but almost all the smart tv entertainment options cost $$ whereas on my computer they are mostly free.

I use Chromecast to project my computers screen onto my smart tv screen. I think I paid about $35 for Chromecast. It was easy to install and has been problem free.

I can look at Netflix/Argentina or any of many tv and movie websites. Whatever I click on to watch will appear on my smart tv immediately and reliably.

I also have AppleTv. It works almost the same way. I've tried 3 generations of AppleTv and they all disconnect frequently causing interruptions and making me have to re-establish the computer to tv link. This is a frequently reported problem with AppleTv.

Netfix/Argentina costs me $8-9 per month. The library is much smaller that NetFlix/U.S. and the subtitles are usually in Spanish. But any movies that I can't access are usually available on other websites.

One issue with Chromecast is that I haven't put in the time to figure out how to project a downloaded movie.

For two years, until last month when I moved, I used a 32 inch Sanyo non Smart TV which I connected to my laptop as a secondary monitor. Great screen, no issues. The Sanyo belonged to the owner of the apartment.

When I got my own place, I bought an LG 32 inch smart TV because one day I walked into Coto and it was 30% off. LG is usually a good brand. And, I wanted to give my laptop a rest. The smart function works fine and my LG DVD/Blu-Ray player that I brought from the US hooks up to it and works just fine too.

Here's the problem... I like to use popcorn time on my computer and project onto the 32 inch TV for a nicer experience. For the life of me, I cannot get my screen share function to work with this LG Smart TV. Is it because it's smart? Who knows. I have search the web and can't find a fix. There are fixes out there, but none of them have worked for me.

The moral of this story is, if you plan to hook your laptop up to your new TV, do some research to be sure that the TV (smart or dumb) will recognize the laptop. Otherwise you've wasted money.

Here's the problem... I like to use popcorn time on my computer and project onto the 32 inch TV for a nicer experience. For the life of me, I cannot get my screen share function to work with this LG Smart TV. Is it because it's smart? Who knows. I have search the web and can't find a fix. There are fixes out there, but none of them have worked for me.

I don't think it works any different than before. You plug a HDMI cable in your computer and the other one in the TV and that's it. Maybe you have to tell your computer to recognize the TV as an external monitor. On the TV, you should select as source HDMI (hint, modern TVs may have more than one HDMIport).

Sadly I wish it were that simple. I am a techie and this has completely thrown me. I know all the things that I'm supposed to do to make it work and nothing is working.

I guess the point that I was making is that there's something amiss with the LG TVs (with perhaps HP)... for sure the LG smart TVs, I'm not sure about non smart.

I haven`t tried Plex - is it pay?

We use the videostream extension for chrome to cast downloaded movies to the TV, I have no complaints.

Sadly I wish it were that simple. I am a techie and this has completely thrown me. I know all the things that I'm supposed to do to make it work and nothing is working.

I guess the point that I was making is that there's something amiss with the LG TVs (with perhaps HP)... for sure the LG smart TVs, I'm not sure about non smart.
Is that problem confined to Popcorn Time?
I have a ten year old LG 32" non-smart TV hooked up directly to a PC via HDMI. How are you extending your laptop screen? And is it Windows 10?
I know you're a techie so I understand your frustration, as I am too.

Thanks a lot, that's some really useful info. I'm thinking a Chromecast might be the way forward. Now to choose a TV …

Back