Smoked Sausage?

Redpossum

Registered
So I was watching this video about how to make Kapusniak -

And it calls for smoked sausage; in the video they appear to be using Kielbasa, one of family's recipe favorites. But I have never seen kielbasa here in AR. Do any of you know of any locally available sausage that might fit as a substitute?

I thought about chorizo colorado, but that can be downright nasty, and it has that red food coloring, which I try to avoid.

So I was watching this video about how to make Kapusniak -

And it calls for smoked sausage; in the video they appear to be using Kielbasa, one of family's recipe favorites. But I have never seen kielbasa here in AR. Do any of you know of any locally available sausage that might fit as a substitute?

I thought about chorizo colorado, but that can be downright nasty, and it has that red food coloring, which I try to avoid.
That “nasty red food coloring” will be, if you are willing to spend what it takes to purchase a high quality chorizo colorado, pimenton a.k.a. paprika. If you look for el cheapo chorizo, well… red No. 40 for you. Kielbasa is no health food last I looked.

That “nasty red food coloring” will be, if you are willing to spend what it takes to purchase a high quality chorizo colorado, pimenton a.k.a. paprika. If you look for el cheapo chorizo, well… red No. 40 for you. Kielbasa is no health food last I looked.

Certainly kielbasa isn't health food, no argument there.

But, all that aside, any suggestions for a locally available substitute?

It was a decade ago or so maybe, but I saw a bougie deli inside Patio Bullrich, Google says Bon Marche maybe? They had sausages like the kind you'd see in the states, links dried in a cooler, no idea if they still do, but the specialty shops are probably the best places to check. There, the giant Jumbo next to the Mosque on Juan B Justo, that French chain that opened here recently, just some ideas.

there is a place called bratwurst argentina in microcentro. obviously german style sausages but i thought they were all quite good. might have a good substitute there.

It was a decade ago or so maybe, but I saw a bougie deli inside Patio Bullrich, Google says Bon Marche maybe? They had sausages like the kind you'd see in the states, links dried in a cooler, no idea if they still do, but the specialty shops are probably the best places to check. There, the giant Jumbo next to the Mosque on Juan B Justo, that French chain that opened here recently, just some ideas.

Oh hey, that big Jumbo is a good suggestion. I used to live just across the tracks in Las Cañitas, and I shopped there all the time. But I haven't been there in years.

there is a place called bratwurst argentina in microcentro. obviously german style sausages but i thought they were all quite good. might have a good substitute there.

Found the website!

There, the giant Jumbo next to the Mosque on Juan B Justo, that French chain that opened here recently, just some ideas.
Carrefour is the hyper-supermarket based out of France. Jumbo chain is from Chile. I find they have expanded variety of international products, plus one of the better and cleanest supermarkets in Argentina. Not the cheapest though. Owned by Cencosud which is multinational, though primarily SA and headquartered in Santiago.

For all dried sausage and pancetta I like to ask the butcher if they make their own. There are a few small carniceria around who do this, though often can’t provide all year when the hot season disrupts small scale artisanal technique.

there is a place called bratwurst argentina
Thanks for mentioning this place
Found the website!

Kalimnos has been mentioned here a few times over the years. Certainly a big list of dried meats. At the least a good resource to ask your salami questions.

Thanks for mentioning this place

Kalimnos has been mentioned here a few times over the years. Certainly a big list of dried meats. At the least a good resource to ask your salami questions.
I'm the Kalimnos lover. They have a lot of salames and cured sausages, but could definitely be a resource for advice on the right place to go for the other.

Back