So I've Decided To Sell My House But Where Will I Go?

Steve, I’m sorry you lost your brother and admire you for looking out for his son.

It’s interesting to see how you developed your life in Arg. I regard you as this forum’s anchor.

Are you considering staying in Argentina or SA, or perhaps starting over on another continent?

My condolences too Steve. We've disagreed a few times here, but you've made a massive contribution to the forum. Good luck for the future.

I am really sorry to hear about your brother's passing. It's so tough to deal with these situations (and all that they entail) abroad. I wish you the best!

Steve, I’m sorry you lost your brother and admire you for looking out for his son.

It’s interesting to see how you developed your life in Arg. I regard you as this forum’s anchor.

Are you considering staying in Argentina or SA, or perhaps starting over on another continent?

In additiona to those previously mentioned, I would like tio send my heartfelt thanks to Bigboxer, StevePalermo, Bradley, Sockhopper, Nikad, ceviche, Expatgigi, and Wineguy, for their condolences.

I am not leaving Argentina and I have no desire to leave my present location. I will move to the "guest house' if someone buys the house I am presently living in. If I sell the "guest house" I will stay right where I am.

If I sell the guest house for $43K (USD) I will make the $10K worth of improvements to the exterior of the main house, pay for the formal subdivision, and finish the interior of the quincho (including a 3/4 bath and laundry room. I will also build a carport across the driveway (beside the house), buy a riding lawn mower, a roto-tiller, and a used truck. I won't have to worry about the effects of inflation, as that will take most if not all of the $43K.

If I sell the main house i will add the two bedrooms and bath to the back of the guest house (keeping the existing colchera in the front (rather than converting it to a bedroom). I may change the roof from metal to exposed wood beam (inside), covered with ceramic tile (like the main house) . Even if I go all out and spend fifty thousand dollars (which I probably would), I'll have a home which I would be happy to have the equivalent of 93K invested.. I would also buy the items mentioned above.and build a galpon on the adjacent property in the back to house them.

Have you thought about how you will protect the cash/proceeds from inflation?

That would leave about $70K to "protect" from inflation and I am waiting to hear from my sister in law if my nephew has a mortgage that I could pay down if it doesn't result in an outrageous tax liability for him. otherwise, I may be able to"deposit" the funds in the trust..

PS: The 15 mtr2 extension of the living room and the 44 meter addition to the back of the guest house would result in a total enclosed and covered space of 156 mtrs2.

I see we arrived to stay here on a permanent basis around the same time as you. Your decision to stay here has to be admired especially after the sad loss of your brother. Your plan looks good so I wish the rest of your life here to be a happy and contented one.

At the risk of being repetitive, my heartfelt condolences.

Best of luck in getting your own project completed to fruition.

Do you still find life affordable in Argentina? Just curious. At this point wouldn't it be just as cheap to buy property in certain rural parts of the US? If you are unable to sell any of the property, will you remain in the house indefinitely?

Do you still find life affordable in Argentina? Just curious. At this point wouldn't it be just as cheap to buy property in certain rural parts of the US? If you are unable to sell any of the property, will you remain in the house indefinitely?

Yes, I still find life affordable in Argentina, especially living where I do and there's nowhere in the "rural" USA that I would want to live. I seriously doubt I could find a place with 2 .5 acres of land and 2500 square feet of finished construction (what I presently have) and pay "state" property taxes and municipal fees of about $150 UDS per year.

I have no desire whatsoever to live anywhere in the USA or buy property anywhere else in the world (including Argentina). I continue to research the real estate market in Argentina and I don't think I could come close to duplicating what I already have here.

If I'm not "able to sell" a portion of my property I will begin selling some of my "overflow" on Mercado Libre and gradually make some of the desired improvements to the house. If don't sell the house, I obviously won't have any need to convert the outbuilding into a livable dwelling.

PS: I can still live (comfortably) here for well under $800 USD per month.

Back