So much for herd immunity?

I hear of cafes chock-a-block with people in Pacifico, Palermo. Same goes for Beccar and San Fernando. After five months in quarantine, people are so fed up that they no longer care about catching the virus. Many figure that we will all eventually get it, so we may as well catch it while having fun.

Frankly, I see their point. Aaaarggghhhhhhh..........!

I hear of cafes chock-a-block with people in Pacifico, Palermo. Same goes for Beccar and San Fernando. After five months in quarantine, people are so fed up that they no longer care about catching the virus. Many figure that we will all eventually get it, so we may as well catch it while having fun.

Frankly, I see their point. Aaaarggghhhhhhh..........!

Congregation of people like this is a natural consequence of excessive repression, just like in the early days of allowing running when everyone rushed outside at 20:00... now there are far less people running at the same time as people know they are free to do it when they want and actually run because they want to run and not because they just need a change of scenery and fresh air.

I have been to a few restaurants, bars and cafés so far over the past weeks for both takeaway and the recently rehabilitated seated service.

Monday night restaurant in Palermo with more than 10 tables outside on the street but only about 4 were occupied while we were there. Guess it was a chilly night. Went to another that was open on the weekend (!) along the costenera which had a garden area which was pretty full, but it was a gorgeous day and worked in a takeaway plus model with a very limited menu. Staff were very enthusiastic and appreciative of being able to work again.

Have been to many cafes and bars in Palermo over the past weeks for "takeaway" - a coffee and catch up with small groups of friends or solo while sitting in the sun on the street or in a square.

In all cases there were obvious protocols in place with good distancing between the tables and enforcement of the 4 people per table rule.
Most of the punters I have observed have actually been pretty well behaved, with the exception of a few which unfortunately more often than not fell into an older demographic (e.g. walking around without a mask on, not sanitising hands before eating etc.) while there were a few groups of young people / teenagers congregating in public spaces getting loud and drunk.

Everyone who goes out in public needs to understand and accept the risks which are not zero, but are low if everyone plays their part in keeping them low. If you feel you are in a high risk group or in regular contact with someone who is, best thing to do is just stay home - but at the same time don't expect to drag everyone else down with you.

Here we go again for another round of petty political games in the name of pandemia.
So much for living in a “federal country” there being “no quarantine” and "each governor decides" and "we work together as one team" etc... the President decides to make a surprise change to some of the cities measures after they had been aligned and announced, once it was clear they are more popular than those of his own governors and he needs to show who is boss. In the meantime, lots of employees and business owners face yet more uncertainty and people loose more respect for this pantomime of a government while they get even more confused as to what they can and can't do to minimise risk - the perfect recipe during a public health crisis. Argentina Unida.

We are in Orange some Provinces in Red like Jujuy Health sytem near ? collapse

From La Nacion ..

Coronavirus in Argentina: Government fears a collapse of the Health System

"The alarms due to the advance of the coronavirus came back on. The health situation in some provinces "is close to collapse," warned official sources. This is the scenario that led President Alberto Fernández to repeat the warning that he will not hesitate to press "the red button" to return to a more restrictive isolation if the situation becomes complicated."

What percentage is needed for herd immunity to kick in? 70? 80?
Well, we are getting closer.

Herd immunity doesn't just "kick in," unfortunately. It usually requires a certain amount of human intervention, mostly in the form of a vaccine.

Herd immunity doesn't just "kick in," unfortunately. It usually requires a certain amount of human intervention, mostly in the form of a vaccine.

Or, without a vaccine it requires a certain amount of dead people. Lots of them in this case.

1. I was sarcastic.

2. Where does this "usually" come from? You just need to reach a certain percentage of immune people in the population. It does not matter how. First vaccine was developed like 200 years ago. Herd immunity threshold was not usually reached during the epidemics before that?

Thanks for posting these links.....very informative.

1. I was sarcastic.

2. Where does this "usually" come from? You just need to reach a certain percentage of immune people in the population. It does not matter how. First vaccine was developed like 200 years ago. Herd immunity threshold was not usually reached during the epidemics before that?

I wrote usually because without a vaccine, the threshold is reached after enough people just die, leaving the virus with fewer bodies to spread to, as FrankPintor pointed out. According to the Yale professor interviewed in the Atlantic article I posted, "there’s never been a real case of herd immunity through infection."

I had a feeling you were probably being sarcastic, but a lot of people discussing this strategy aren't, like Trump's medical advisor for example.

Back