Social Anthropology Musings On Bsas, Continued

Try changing your definition of culture. here is a thought experiment:
culture doesn´t exist, only reactions.
For example, Argentina was not a recognized port of the Spanish empire, so many goods had to be smuggled in and out. People saw that there was great profit in doing so, so many began to be involved with smuggling.
Instead of "Argentines have a culture of smuggling and law breaking"
Taking one person out of one environment removes one stimulus and replaces it with another, thus causing changes in "culture".
For example, I changed my professional aspiration when I moved to Argentina. If I were to go back to the US (which I dont want to do) I would most likely have to change my profession. My profession in Argentina, documentary filmmaker, is logical. In the US it would be financial suicide. This is not to say that Argentina has a "culture" of documentary filmmaking/watching, rather that documentary films are more easily funded here than in other countries. Therefore, many documentary filmmakers.

It's interesting to note that Anglo-Argentines here are often regarded as more Brit than the Brits.

Try changing your definition of culture. here is a thought experiment:
culture doesn´t exist, only reactions.
For example, Argentina was not a recognized port of the Spanish empire, so many goods had to be smuggled in and out. People saw that there was great profit in doing so, so many began to be involved with smuggling.
Instead of "Argentines have a culture of smuggling and law breaking"
Taking one person out of one environment removes one stimulus and replaces it with another, thus causing changes in "culture".
For example, I changed my professional aspiration when I moved to Argentina. If I were to go back to the US (which I dont want to do) I would most likely have to change my profession. My profession in Argentina, documentary filmmaker, is logical. In the US it would be financial suicide. This is not to say that Argentina has a "culture" of documentary filmmaking/watching, rather that documentary films are more easily funded here than in other countries. Therefore, many documentary filmmakers.

HI. Actually, the best point so far, that culture is in the eyes of beholder.
perhaps i should have phrased the question differently. it's about social values imported to argentina with the immigrants from It, Sp and maybe other European countries. and of course, obviously, one does reinvent themselves/life/profession etc ; adaptability and relilience is how New World was made ;)

My question stemmed from personal level experience, having lived and travelled in Europe, i find it strange that well educated europeanized nation has such bedlam 'at home', where it matters most. thus the pavement, the trash, the beggars, social services corruption etc.
Again, all IMHO. I find it strange to sit with a guy at a table, a la terrasse parisienne, and have him spit on the pavement. I find it strange that women are harassed in bars/clubs as well as at professional establishments (from prior post , it was a medical office, the very office which was to help that woman) as part of same culture which values family and friendships. i find it strange that sex and personal property are treated casually, because again they are not treated so elsewhere. Not venting here, yet more about comprehending.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]- spanish colonization happened in many other Lat Am countries, why Argentina so different /unique as compared to Brazil, Uruguay, Mexico, etc; similarly, all American countries [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)](except Iceland)[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] were founded only a few hundred yrs ago so it's not about 'building a national identity' and 'young country' etc[/background]

I'm a bit confused here... What do you mean exactly? Iceland is not an American country.

Back