Social Security Checks

GayleinNH

Registered
My mother-in-law is entering a nursing home soon in Buenos Aires. Does anyone know what happens to her Social Security check? In the US it goes directly to the nursing home and the individual is given $35 for expenses.

Thank you so much for any information.

:)

This makes no sense. She is entering a nursing home in BA? What does that have to do with her Social Security? The nursing home is not going to accept her Social Security check!

My guess is that somebody else will have to cash the check and pay for the nursing home.

james p said:
A bigger question is why does she need to enter a geratrico? ANYWHERE it is a life sooooo sad!. but here it is even sadder. Are you living here? Does your Mother speak Spanish? Is she able to care for herself a little? There are many other options, but to your question....NO.... have the check deposited to an account in the USA and withdraw the funds here via an atm(assming that you meant by Social Security you meant the Social Secutity Administration of the USA.) Also consider what are her benifits......Depending on what her benefits from the USA, you may be well able to have live in help and let spend her latter days with family....YES it is difficult, but when you shit your diapers, WHO changed them? an orphanage? I have 7 brothers and sisters, and when I decided to move here (after she had lived with me and my ex lover for 15 years, 10 of those years after she suffered a massive heart attack and stroke.) I asked her what she wanted. She said quickly that she wanted to come with me. My family was very angry( to the extent of taking me to court). She WON and died happily here, having helped many children in the neighbourhood with their English and art 4 years later.....She died VERY PEACEFULLY! She played futbol with a bunch of little kids from her wheelchair just hours before she passed.......LAUGHED all of the way to her grave!!!!!!!! Do you have children? I always said to my brothers and sisters" Be careful how you treat Mother.......Your children ARE WATCHING!

Good for you. I honestly don't get how some folk think old people need to be institutionalized - old people aren't simple, stupid or unfeeling - they're just old which is a state that will befall us all and god help me I hope my kids love me enough to want me around! Sickness is another issue of course...no judgement on the OP, just kudos to this poster for sticking to his guns!

Judge not less you be judged.

For several years I have sought advice or given advice and was surprised at the angry responses I received when a person/people do not know the background of a situation.

Until you walk in someone else's shoes..........

Thank you Nikad.

GayleinNH said:
My mother-in-law is entering a nursing home soon in Buenos Aires. Does anyone know what happens to her Social Security check? In the US it goes directly to the nursing home and the individual is given $35 for expenses.

Thank you so much for any information.

:)
She can call SS and appoint a custodian. The check or direct deposit can be handled by the custodian and expenses can be dispersed by same. Good luck finding an honest person. Or even an honest bank in Argentina.

Thank you both so much for the information. I did not know about the "paperless" checks.

Thank you both again.

Stella said:
Thank you both so much for the information. I did not know about the "paperless" checks.

Thank you both again.
SSA has been moving away from paper checks for years. They will electronically direct deposit to an Argentine account [check any recent AR law changes about taxes] or a US account or an account in any one of about 60 countries that have signed retirement deposit treaties with the US. Argentina is one of those countries. But, can they be trusted to refrain from changing the rules at any moment? If she deposits to an AR accnt, make sure it's a dollar accnt and that the AR central bank doesn't convert to pesos first and then back to dollars. Be careful.

Back